Sky News Ireland - It's launched!!

Discussions on news and breaking news events including, BBC News, ITV News, Sky News
Steven

Post by Steven » Tue May 11, 2004 4:05 pm

Yes ,  There were some big breaking irish stories today , such as the Former Ireland Rugby  Manager killed in a road crash , and the whole A.I.B Scandal.And the ongoing situation with The Gerry Mcabe Killers. those stories must be in the top headlnes tonight

The interesting thing with the AIB scandal is that was exposed because of Charlie Bird's investigative report on RTE last week*, if I'm not mistaken.

So Sky would effectively be reporting on a story that RTE exposed! Nevertheless, an important story that they should be covering.

*If I'm incorrect, may I apologise in advance.

Newsroom

Post by Newsroom » Tue May 11, 2004 4:30 pm

No Steven you are correct.

FYI: Chief News Correspondent,Charlie Bird of RTE is one of the most respected and well-thought of and well-known journalists in the Republic.

Yes he did uncover the AIB scandal: maybe SNI will"UNCOVER" some of there own scandals?Who knows?

Steven

Post by Steven » Tue May 11, 2004 5:09 pm

So there we have it, the second night.

On reflection a better feel.

However, still a few technical problems. On two occasions Grainne repeated some of a story. The second time she made reference to it. Without having any of her previous work to reference to I'd say that she is quite nervous.

They look light on Irish news stories. The Westlife peice at the end was quite good.

Overall, an improvement - but work still to be done.

Steven

Post by Steven » Tue May 11, 2004 5:11 pm

The interesting thing with the AIB scandal is that was exposed because of Charlie Bird's investigative report on RTE last week.

So Sky would effectively be reporting on a story that RTE exposed!  Nevertheless, an important story that they should be covering.

So indeed it was mentioned in the round-up section. I think SKy got that right. RTE seem to be hanging onto this story for as long as they can. Their Chief News Correspondent is using all of his time to cover it.

newshound_ie

Post by newshound_ie » Tue May 11, 2004 5:13 pm

Yes, I felt tonight was much better. More Irish news and less reliance on having to show off all the different features and facilities available to them.

There is something not quite right about the weather map of Ireland though. Its the regular UK and Ireland map but zooming in on Ireland seems to put it out of focus and makes symbols too large. Also the south coast gets chopped off by the info bar at the base of the screen. I know I'm being picky here...........

Steven

Post by Steven » Tue May 11, 2004 5:17 pm

There is something not quite right about the weather map of Ireland though. Its the regular UK and Ireland map but zooming in on Ireland seems to put it out of focus and makes symbols too large. Also the south coast gets chopped off by the info bar at the base of the screen. I know I'm being picky here...........

Yes, it didn't seem right to me. There was something that wasn't quite right about the actual camera shot that was used as well. Perhaps they're using a different screen/studio for the SNI weather bulliten?

newshound_ie

Post by newshound_ie » Tue May 11, 2004 5:20 pm

Yes, Lisa seemed to be presenting against one of those 'green screen' backdrops on SNI. A few mins later she was on SNUK all all looked well.

Damo

Post by Damo » Tue May 11, 2004 5:39 pm

i thoiught she looked way too low down the screen , like a child , trying to clamber up over the news ticker

Newsroom

Post by Newsroom » Tue May 11, 2004 5:59 pm

What happened with westlife..was there a live interview??

I missed it!

newshound_ie

Post by newshound_ie » Tue May 11, 2004 6:06 pm

There was a live interview with them from the back-stage area of the Point Depot. Tonights their first show of 10 there. That's a lot of shows!