Glasgow Building Collapse

Discussions on news and breaking news events including, BBC News, ITV News, Sky News
philg

Post by philg » Tue May 11, 2004 5:39 pm

Sky's coverage has been embarrasingly awful. Why could they not get a live shot any quicker? It was very unprofessional for them to be talking to James Mathews for so long on the phone, not having him in vision. I will be astounded if viewers did not turn over in their thousands to News 24, which was very good this afternoon.

Sky pride themselves on Breaking News, today they have been rubbish.

philg

Post by philg » Wed May 12, 2004 4:42 am

It seems that Sky's Scotland satellite truck was in Ireland helping with the launch of the ireland service. So. obviously just very bad timing for Sky.

NEWSBOY2

Post by NEWSBOY2 » Wed May 12, 2004 5:39 am

Simon Mccoy's been reporting for news 24 this evening. Wouldn't this have been an excellent oportunity to use the copter? What with the whole "you can really see the SCALE of the disaster!" promo. I've never heard so much slating about Sky's coverage for such a long time. I hope this is just a one-off.

mickey

Post by mickey » Wed May 12, 2004 9:36 am

Actually saw Simon reporting on Sky News this morning - only a brief shot as the camera panned around the scene. I wonder what Martin & Simon had to say to each other?

Steven

Post by Steven » Wed May 12, 2004 9:38 am

Wouldn't this have been an excellent oportunity to use the copter? What with the whole "you can really see the SCALE of the disaster!" promo. I've never heard so much slating about Sky's coverage for such a long time. I hope this is just a one-off.

Yes, you're spot on there about the Skycopter. It's definately an opportunity wasted.

Sky really seemed to have not bothered with this story at all. At 9am this morning they had perhaps 5 minutes of coverage then they moved on to other stories, whilst News 24 an ITV were still concentrating on Glasgow.

MelbourneTV

Post by MelbourneTV » Wed May 12, 2004 10:08 am

Doesnt Sky have a Scottish bureau???

Steven

Post by Steven » Wed May 12, 2004 11:02 am

Doesnt Sky have a Scottish bureau???

They do indeed. It is manned with 2 or 3 correspondents as well. In my opinion James Matthews, the unofficial chief correspondent there, is a quality reporter who I like. Earlier Simon McCoy was doing a live to camera on News 24 and James was stood right behind him.

They seem to have sharpened up a little as the day goes on. Martin Stanford talking live to James and Mike McCarthy (again I'm a fan), whose been drafted in from Manchester.

What chances Jeremy Thompson at the scene later in the day? It's what he does best.

Ross

Post by Ross » Wed May 12, 2004 12:52 pm

Yep, he does do that best. When the Madrid train bombs went off they were in the morning, and they had JT out there by Live at Five, maybe even before! He was great there too.

Steven

Post by Steven » Wed May 12, 2004 5:16 pm

So it appears Jeremy wasn't on scene this evening. In fact he wasn't even at Sky centre.

Martin Stanford continued from this morning. He's done a good job, it's easy to forget that Martin can be good when lately he only seems to be used as Julie's assistant on Sky News Today.

Gerrard Tubb also at the scene. Rona Dougall seems to have disappeared though.

Their coverage has definately picked up form yesterday!

Newsroom

Post by Newsroom » Thu May 13, 2004 4:59 am

I agree but it was strange that they did not use the copter(maybe its still in Ireland) also wasnt it strange no Jeremy...u do miss him dont u?

He is in my opinion by far the best newscaster/correspondent/broadcaster in BSkyB.

Well done Jeremy from me if u ever read this.