D-Day - 60 years on.

Discussions on news and breaking news events including, BBC News, ITV News, Sky News
Easty

Post by Easty » Sun Jun 06, 2004 11:10 am

The time is Midday and here is my analysis of the New Channels coverage of D-Day so far.

ITV have just wrapped up a fantastic broadcast with Mark Austin and Mary Nightingale on ITV 1 and on the ITV News Channel.... it was structured and planned so therefore had the advantage over Sky?s live coverage. However, ITV?s packaged reports by Bill Nealy a far superior to those of Peter Sharps. Mark Austin and Mary Nightingale look stunning and are both quality anchors, however, I feel Katie Derham is being missed.

Meanwhile as soon as the ITV News channels goes separate the coverage on ITV becomes shabby with a rambling anchor, wonky cameras and few live interviews. Sky is therefore better than the ITV News Channel, but not as good as the terrestrial versions of ITV News.

BBC News 20 bore is living up to its nickname. It is presenting every bulletin in the same format as the 6o?clock news with is not ado quit for this occasion.

Another thought about Skys Coverage...... why not take the studio they use at Royal Funerals across the channel. This would allow Sky to hava pannel - Allistair Bruce could also sit on the pannel rather than just being a voice. A pannel and a studio would make Skys Coverage seem more organised and make it stand out even more

newshound

Post by newshound » Sun Jun 06, 2004 11:32 am

What was it about Colin Brazier's piece that interested you, Steven, the Nazi memorabilia?

Moxey

Post by Moxey » Sun Jun 06, 2004 12:03 pm

How come none of the Sky Ladies are reporting on D Day

Newsroom

Post by Newsroom » Sun Jun 06, 2004 2:39 pm

because d-day is so unbelievably boring----how JT kept intersted is beyond me!

Easty

Post by Easty » Sun Jun 06, 2004 7:09 pm

because d-day is so unbelievably boring----how JT kept intersted is beyond me!

yeah! ITV 1 (not the ITV News channel) have also done a good job of making it interesting!

four pints

Post by four pints » Sun Jun 06, 2004 8:30 pm

Let's just take a second to remember that it is not about being interesting, it is about remembering those who gave their lives so we are not ruled by nazis.

Steven

Post by Steven » Sun Jun 06, 2004 11:36 pm

Here, here!

gillw

Post by gillw » Tue Jun 08, 2004 6:52 am

Just wanted to say that I though Sky's coverage over the weekend was excellent. Managed to watch quite a bit over the weekend and as usual the Sky team came up trumps. JT was first class and the chats that Joey & Keith had with some of the vets was very touching. Brilliant insight from Alistair in the studio.

Noticed that the ITV news channel appeared to be using the Sky Copter feed on Saturday?