David Chater

Discussions on news and breaking news events including, BBC News, ITV News, Sky News
eagleeye

Post by eagleeye » Fri Feb 27, 2004 6:30 pm

Everyone else's birthday cakes are on the forums....I think that David's birthday is soon (March??) as according to Sky PR he turned 50 in Baghdad (lucky lad eh? ), I think before the bombs started falling....hope it's less stressful this time around, but what date is it?

maxi

Post by maxi » Sun Feb 29, 2004 8:16 pm

I think the press release last year was around mid march ie that DC had turned 50 in the "romantic" Palestine Hotel in Baghdad, but I stand to be corrected. Doesn't Johnnie know?

Johnnie
Site Admin

Post by Johnnie » Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:23 pm

I know he will be 51 this month - but thats it.

He did a package about Police numbers today. (not in vision)

Its a shame they didn't send DC down to Haiti to cover the current affair in the country.

David always sounds out of place when he is covering a domestic story. its like Michael Wilson doing the sport.

Although Andrew Wilson seem to be enjoying himself in Haiti. Andrew has been covering domestic stories for about a year now.

Johnnie
Site Admin

Post by Johnnie » Tue Mar 02, 2004 6:24 pm

Tim Marshall did the main package, also was on the Wall with JT. Joined Julie in the studio on 'today'.

Sky did a live with a Sky Producer this morning and have been doing a live with a Fox correspondent during the rest of the day.

eagleeye

Post by eagleeye » Tue Mar 02, 2004 8:16 pm

Unbelievable! You're telling me that David was doing a 'police numbers story' while the Shia commemoration and bombs are going off in Iraq...and Tim Marshall is the 'resident expert' in the studio????

If I can use a rude word, I honestly think David should just bugger off and rejoin ITN where he may get more appreciation for heaven's sake. He's the only reporter at Sky who really knows Iraq. You have to GO somewhere regularly (as he has done, for years) to really know the implications and nuances of a country & its people; you can't just read the wires. I'm glad that I didn't have Sky today. Might have thrown a two day old baguette at the screen. (those things are WMDs after a day or so)

Breaking News 6 March: Baguette update: I can't chew as I mangled my jaw muscle trying to eat a one day old baguette, so they got their revenge for having their reputation so impugned.

Come on someone who works at Sky - tell us when in March Monsieur Chater turns 51 so we can send him a razzy message.

eagleeye

Post by eagleeye » Sat Mar 06, 2004 1:49 pm

this is good, especially at the moment re the Kerbala commemoration of Ashura - for those interested in Iraq.

http://www.dear_raed.blogspot.com/http://www.dear_raed.blogspot.com/

March 8th: did Sky cover the Iraqi Constitution signing today or was it Foxed?

Johnnie
Site Admin

Post by Johnnie » Thu Mar 11, 2004 4:09 pm

Dc's in Madrid.

edofis

Post by edofis » Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:54 pm

Just tuned in and David is in Madrid reporting in his usual to the point way.

He tells you how it is and a couple of times he's made me wince with his words. He's been at the site of the explosion getting down to the nitty gritty of it all. His report is being shown throughout the night and his hair is still long.

What's the French reporting of Madrid like Eagleeye? Alot of speculation is going on over this neck of the woods about who's behind the explosions which i find irritating.

Ed

eagleeye

Post by eagleeye » Thu Mar 11, 2004 6:24 pm

I wish that I could see Sky's coverage, Ed, as there is a lot on Spanish TV but I am completely ignorant of their language. French TV has just carried the story on the news about the Spanish Minister of the Interior saying that it's probably ETA but they must exercise caution because of the arabic religious tape that was found near the scene. French TV just has bulletins though so they soon move on to other rubbish.

Basque TV has a black ribbon in the top corner of the screen. Thousands of Basques are assembling in the streets (in Spain) in a silent protest. I am sure that you can see that on Sky. Here in France there was a short statement from the Basque party in Bayonne calling the attack a "massacre" and expressing sympathy with the victims and their families. However I am living in a supposedly Basque town and didn't know anything until I turned on the news, but it IS all over the French TV news bulletins. I hope that people don't turn on the ordinary Basque people.

More people have died than in any attack since the Civil War it says. Yes, there's also a lot of speculation about whether it's ETA, Al Qaeda or some appalling combination. The coverage isn't at all as comprehensive or sensitively handled as it would be on Sky News (on French TV; I can't speak for Spanish TV, who are talking to a lot of the poor ordinary people caught up in this terrible act). They are also showing the coverage in clips from Britain, but are using BBC News 24's coverage. Thank you for keeping me updated on this terrible day.