David Chater

Discussions on news and breaking news events including, BBC News, ITV News, Sky News
eagleeye

Post by eagleeye » Thu May 27, 2004 6:49 pm

well I hope that even with the fundamentalists running amok, there's still some single malt to be had chez the Sheraton then.

eagleeye

Post by eagleeye » Fri May 28, 2004 7:41 pm

Kev tells me that David was on sharing his anecdotes and knowledge of the media industry recently, with the appointment of the new BBC DG. Any interesting anecdotes etc?

ciao.

eagleeye

Post by eagleeye » Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:46 pm

Ooh you lot are a dead loss. you may be pleased to know that old bat not-so-eagleeye is really busy for about a month now and mostly TV less and webless, but I'll pop in for news & to see who's saying what about who occasionally so please would some kind soul/s - if such there be on this 'ere forum - keep me posted, not just on where Mr DC is (ie at work in London or Baghdad or ??!!) but actually I'd really like to know what he's saying and reporting on purrlease guys. Esp if he goes back into Iraq or does any interesting reporting...

That's what's most interesting - although any seriously eccentric bad hairdays could also get the odd mention!!! Ciao and thank you

see ya.

thurber

Post by thurber » Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:42 pm

Perhaps this overlaps with the D Day discussions but I was disappointed not to hear Chater's eloquence, perhaps in voiceover, from the commemorations. He has a remarkable use of the english language and it would have been better than what was on offer.

Then again, he had the weekend off which is always a good thing in my book.

eagleeye

Post by eagleeye » Wed Jun 09, 2004 5:14 pm

Weeell, I'm back south of the equator for a few weeks and they are now showing the Sky ads down here, so I finally did get to see David on the much (ok a bit) discussed quadriped, which I have to admit, is bloody hard to tell from the speed of the clip whether it's a horse or a camel. Still, wish it were longer; he has that daft happy look on his face that he gets whenever he's off doing something unsuitlike and in-the-middle-of-nowhere-foreign correspondentish. aka wild and mad. Great.

If that sentence ain't engerlishh, I'm pretty tired.

I also saw the silliest sight on Sky for a while which is Bestic doing the India ad in a turban. Orange.

I read that you lot are saying where is Mr Chater? Off horse/camel riding?! Keep me posted as I have about 5 mins a day to watch Sky if that...

Johnnie
Site Admin

Post by Johnnie » Sat Jun 26, 2004 12:12 pm

DC was live from Basra today via videophone.

eagleeye

Post by eagleeye » Sat Jun 26, 2004 2:44 pm

I was just about to post that I was watching Sky for 5 mins and it was all about the "Other David's Penalty Spot Conspiracy" while I was having a quick cuppa, and the Real David popped up in his "Iraq reporting outfit" (yes folks, the black T shirt is back!!) from Basra talking about the release of the soldiers by Iran.

I don't know if he'll be staying there like Alex Crawford did, or going up to Baghdad. I suppose it depends on what Sky/he wants to cover and what is safe travel wise. Sky seem to be taking Fox reports from Baghdad. Or at least they were yesterday with all that awful carnage.

As I have so little time to watch, pls let me know what he is reporting on guys? Thank you.

kev667

Post by kev667 » Sun Jun 27, 2004 11:28 am

David Chater in Basra.

2.52pm 25/6/04.

He was commenting via videophone on the sailors.. (special sailors that use M16s.. hmmm) ...that were arrested by Iranians. He's half a mile from them at a base name I didn't catch.

He talked of the hardline papers that were saying the Brits should never have been released and they shouldn't have got away with their military adventure.. they're now having some R&R and will be debriefed. Then, if my hunch is correct.. someone will be giving an interview to Our Dave.

After that, he'll make his way up to Baghdad (I wish him well, in all seriousness) to keep an eye on the handover process.

Has he been on earlier today? I've been out all morning.

Cheers

Kev

PS - Hi Eagleeye! I've been waiting all this time for a Chater report to tell you about.. he's been very very missing. but he's back where he belongs now.. and I'm going to enjoy it. Hope you get to see him later..! Byee

eagleeye

Post by eagleeye » Sun Jun 27, 2004 3:10 pm

Hiya Kevin (what's the js667?)

Yes I just posted some amazing luck as I watched Sky for 2 mins and there he was. First sighting since Jan so not too bad

Trivia: some washing powder company should pay him a fortune to advertise their product, as that black T shirt has seen some action and still looks just fine. Obviously washed in a superior product. Or he has 10.

Hair: yep, no short back and sides, looking long and fluffy. PLS don't go near any barmy army barbers in Basra!! And a good tan worked on while on long AWOL from our screens!

Jokes aside: not a lot of fun to travel to Baghdad as you say. I hope if he tries it, that he keeps safe. In fact, is it even possible to visit the other cities of Iraq nearer Basra ? thanks for telling me what the report was about as I only caught the very end of it.

kev667

Post by kev667 » Sun Jun 27, 2004 5:38 pm

And we were typing msgs at the same time. Hmm.

Ok, he popped up again at 16.17. A longer report this time.. talked of Iranians lurking round every bend on the Shatt-Al Arab like sharks.

One comment I would make.. Dave was very adamant that our sailors were doing nothing suspicious there.. simply training Iraqi forces how to navigate. ...he'd already mentioned that they had very precise navigational equipment and maps.. which the Iranians now have.. ok, if they had all that and still got lost and captured by ideologically opposed forces... ...are these the people we want training Iraqis?

Or were they really doing something strange?

EE, the js667 is for my middle name, surname and 667 signifies the neighbour of the beast.

And I agree completely with all your points. Washing powder will make him a mint. Army barbers are bad. He probly only has black T shirts, spending his Sky clothing allowance on cheap stuff and keeping the rest