David Chater

Discussions on news and breaking news events including, BBC News, ITV News, Sky News
Mr Byrne

Post by Mr Byrne » Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:00 am

WHAT? You don't have to get a Sky digibox, just buy a normal satellite. As far as I know, Sky News is now free to air on satellite, you just have to tune it in manually, or maybe you don't have to.

kev667

Post by kev667 » Sat Nov 06, 2004 3:17 pm

Hiya EE, I haven't heard from DC since the story of the blackwatch soldiers emerged. It's been all Sleepy Sharp(e?).

The BBC man embedded has just been on PM, live. He says an hour ago 50 armoured vehicles left base, entering outskirts of fullaja.

He is unable to say if this is the full scale assault, due to military restrictions.

Maybe going to the outskirts, maybe not. They have the biggest ground force yet on the ground, aerial attacks are going on. It's just a matter of time it seems.

Kofi Annan has written to Bliar, Bush and Allawi to warn them against attacking the city.

..the UN.. too late, as usual.

chat later everyone, got a family party tonight w/fireworks. Stay safe DC. I'll try too.

ta

kev

eagleeye

Post by eagleeye » Sat Nov 06, 2004 3:28 pm

Allawi is in Europe and going to the Arab states to drum up support for what promises to be one unbelievable attack or series of attacks on Falluja and Ramadi.

This is going to be very, very bad. They've been attacking the area in what most people think has been a "massive" attack for months, so what is this going to be??? House to house, street to street in the 'insurgents' own territory...They are asking all the women and children to leave (if they haven't already). This is supposed to drive the foreign fighters and Saddamites out?! Terrifying...

Please update me on DC's reports?

Mr Byrne

Post by Mr Byrne » Sat Nov 06, 2004 6:06 pm

He made a report this morning about the air strikes last night.

They also had Francis Tusa in the studio at lunch time.

eagleeye

Post by eagleeye » Sat Nov 06, 2004 8:23 pm

The questions are what the US will allow them to report; whether all the heavies have stayed, or how many have, in Fallujah to fight or have dispersed elsewhere as all the troops seem to be concentrated in and around Fallujah and are pounding it aerially; and what purpose this 'embedded reporting' organised by the US military is intended to serve - to inform us? What's everyone from David to Francis Tusa saying in their reports? (Francis must just be 'best guessing'?) Strange and very dangerous. I am very uncomfortable with the whole thing as I said before...

eagleeye

Post by eagleeye » Sun Nov 07, 2004 5:32 pm

Iraq has declared a state of emergency for 60 days. What does this mean for the reporters? They must be highly constrained surely? Pls update me....thank you

Mr Byrne

Post by Mr Byrne » Sun Nov 07, 2004 5:42 pm

There was another report from David Chater this morning. He seemed to be on the front line, there were casulaties in his report.

eagleeye

Post by eagleeye » Mon Nov 08, 2004 1:52 pm

I suppose he is on again with the latest attacks in Falluja.

I'm really a bit peeved with Sky as their broadband 'top stories' are now available on the net, but because I'm not in the UK, they block me from watching them. Now I know I can't get Sky sports etc here, but if I had enough cash I could get Astra easily enough and get Sky NEWS perfectly legally....so (SKY PEOPLE READING THIS?) why are they blocking my watching what's going on in Iraq on my PC?!

This means that kind people like the WonderMan (he knows who he is!! ) have to upload clips for me privately, when he shouldn't have to (thank you publicly anyhow Monsieur K!) It's also boring for the rest of you when I ask to be informed about something you're watching...sorry!

From what I did see, David is spot on with the analysis that the US seem to have lost control of other areas by concentrating on Falluja and the casualties will quite possibly be totally counterproductive as the sunnis will boycott the election in Jan, the so-called premise of this attack. Talk about a mess.

Stay safe out there.

Mr Byrne

Post by Mr Byrne » Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:07 pm

And I keep telling you to buy a cheap satellite yourself and tune it in. Last time I was in Spain, the hotel had about 15 satellite channels, one of which was Sky News. I doubht they were paying for a HNewsCorp network. As far as I'm aware Sky News is free to air, especially outside of the UK and Ireland. - and even if you can't get it you'd be able to get BBC, so don't send the bill to me if I'm wrong.

Maybe someone can confirm that sky news is free to air via satellitle in europe?

eagleeye

Post by eagleeye » Mon Nov 08, 2004 6:19 pm

It's free to air ie no subscription, but you still have to buy a dish and decoder and get it installed. that's my point; I can't afford that.

OK so the full assault on Falluja started today. If there is anything on tonight in the form of a summary or update from DC, can someone explain what's going on (subject to US reporting restrictions!)?