David Chater

Discussions on news and breaking news events including, BBC News, ITV News, Sky News
Mr Byrne

Post by Mr Byrne » Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:10 pm

It's hardly that expensive, did you consider shopping around, get in contact with cable companies, ask them could they pump sky news into the wires for you.

Mr Byrne

Post by Mr Byrne » Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:56 pm

I just saw his latest report. He's with the first marine expeditionary force. The footage was very interesting. He seems to be in a dangerous situation. From what I can tell, he is with a group of Bradleys, and he said that his company was heading into the city, so I persume he's going to go in with them.

Tanya

Post by Tanya » Tue Nov 09, 2004 4:56 pm

Sheila Jansen just talked to David Chater on the phone and here is the latest :

US. forces are approaching from North and East Fallujah and trying to push rebels South. In this case they are using different sort of battle, walking street to street and house to house, using more tanks which are entering the city, more machine guns and snipers on the roofs. US. forces already said that they have encircled Fallujah.

_______

Tanya

Mr Byrne

Post by Mr Byrne » Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:48 pm

The americans have captured bridges on the Euphrates and some reports suggest that they are in the centre of the city.

eagleeye

Post by eagleeye » Wed Nov 10, 2004 1:36 pm

Thank you both, and thank you to Kevin (you have too many inbox messages Monsieur btw...! )

I hope that this ill-conceived assault is nearly over. Did you see Donald Rumsfeld's quote on whether this attack would "end the insurgency"? (ie NO WAY, in usual Rummy straight-shootin' good ole boy language). So...what's the point then or have they lost this particular plot?!! As David said, the "rebels", "insurgents", whatever you call those fighting the americans and Iraqi army have known for months that this attack was coming. What kind of tactic is that?! It's so medieval; it reminds me of the days when one lot sat in their castle and watched the other lot set up camp and erect their trebuchets to fire at them (actually that only took about a week).

I also hope that this isn't going to be the only permitted (I don't only mean for safety reasons) way for broadcast journalists to cover Iraq ie embedded.

David and his cameraman must be extremely tired - he's not 'quite' as young as those troops & can't have slept at all & it's been really scary - so hope he's home soon and out of that adrenalin rush!

eagleeye

Post by eagleeye » Wed Nov 10, 2004 1:52 pm

Oh, who's the cameraman with David please? Did he take the photos on the Sky website? Or are those from eg Reuters? (anyone know?)

I heard the BBC's Paul Wood on the web (take note Sky: I can hear Beeb over here) from the centre of F, talking about 'fake surrenders' of Iraqis - when the marines stand up to 'take the prisoners', a whole lot of heavy machine gun fire opened up in their direction...

Al Jazeera broadcast this morning that American strike jets "have destroyed over half the mosques in Falluja". From the few pictures I have seen, this is not true. There has been some firing at mosques used by the insurgents to attack, but can someone confirm that they aren't destroyed? This is highly emotive in Ramadaan with just a few days to go to Eid; and will lead to more recruits for the insurgent forces.

I still think the US tanks will move out in ?? days time and the rebels or whatever you call them will move back in. This looks like a war fought by politicians (it is). I don't suppose the kidnapping of Allawi's family will do anything other than make him more determined and order more 'assaults' & hold that election at all costs...

Mr Byrne

Post by Mr Byrne » Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:19 am

"Thank you both, and thank you to Kevin (you have too many inbox messages Monsieur btw...! )"

Thank you for the thanks - I like being thanked aswell

- ehh what do you mean by "you have too many inbox messages" - Je ne comprends pas Monsieur/Madam. Est aussi, tu est francais ou anglais? Ou habite tu en France. Je fais les vacances en France tous les ?t?s.

Mr Byrne

Post by Mr Byrne » Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:22 am

eagleeye - you make some good points, I think similar to that of I thin it was Francis Tusa that was saying a lot of the "insurgents" have packed up and left even before the assualt. Ramdai is the next city I think they are in.

As regards the pictures, I think most of them are first hand but I do persume that some of them are from reuters. DC is doing a great job in Fallujah and is sending back excellent footage and reports.

As regards Rumsfeld. Firstly, I like to keep an open mind. I change my opinion if things happen that persuade me top change opinion. I'm not a politician, so I don't have to keep one opinion, neither am I John Kerry. However my opinion on Rumsfeld is that he is the bigest hypocrit in the Bush Administration. He lacks knowledge of the situation. He is uninformed. He avoids almost every question the media asks him. I thought it was hilarious when he caled on Syria to hand over all ba'ath party members, failing to realise that the ruling party in syria is actually the Ba'ath party and how many Ba'ath party members (so called "defectors") has the US been harboring?

eagleeye

Post by eagleeye » Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:14 pm

Doesn't the whole Ba'ath party come from Syria originally ,historically?

Hope Sky have more than one camera if they keep sticking it on top of US tanks in the frontline...thanks to Kev (a.k.a. Wonderman) I saw a short newsclip. DC in civvies, no flak, looking very tired. Young marine half his age (sorry, David...) complaining of fatigue and sleep deprivation!! I heard about the rescued hostage; any news of those poor Iraqi army soldiers captured?

All news very welcome, thanks.

Mr Byrne

Post by Mr Byrne » Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:45 pm

The first cousin and first cousins wife of the interim prime minister Alwai, have been kidnapped.

The hostage takers demand that he end the assault of Fallujah.