David Chater

Discussions on news and breaking news events including, BBC News, ITV News, Sky News
HBox

Post by HBox » Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:10 pm

These hostage takers are really agrovating me, they have to be the most sub-human "people" in existence. They are completly irrational, and clearly desperate.

Mr Byrne

Post by Mr Byrne » Fri Nov 12, 2004 5:47 am

... and its clearly working!!!! - Of course, I think these people are one of the lowest people there is. They make scum bags seem noble.

BUT: Lets go back to Ken Bigley and the speaches he made, (I hope I'm thinking of the right person) on how they wouldn't give into the demands etc. etc. It will be interesting to see what moves he makes. - I again reastae how terrible this situatuation is.

HBox

Post by HBox » Fri Nov 12, 2004 1:06 pm

The only move I would find interesting is if this man and his followers are caught and or "dealt" with. I wouldn't find more hostage taking, like the unfortunate Iraqi soldiers, interesting at all. Just plain awful.

eagleeye

Post by eagleeye » Fri Nov 12, 2004 1:45 pm

Well if you give Al Zarqawi months' notice before you attack, you'll never catch him & his cohorts in the atrocities. Iraq's sunni areas are in flames as most of the troops are in Falluja - predictable. As DC said, when they move out after 'taking' Falluja, the insurgents will move back in. With the bombing etc, they won't lack recruits either.

I suppose one, albeit small, positive from this attack is the freeing of the Iraqi hostage/s (I only saw one poor man on the TV).

Reuters say there is still fierce fighting. 300 or so wounded US marines reportedly evacuated to US military hospitals in Germany; normally they "only" get 30 in the same time period. I guess today and tomorrow Sky will concentrate on the biggest story ie Arafat's funeral, but is there any significant news from Falluja? Any news on the US plans once they 'subdue' the city - what will they do next? I wonder how much of what he sees David is allowed to report.

Tanya

Post by Tanya » Sat Nov 13, 2004 6:34 pm

David was reporting "live from Fallujah" this morning,

saying that US. troops have already under control 80% of Fallujah, but they are facing the hardest resistance so far, with lethal crossfire and booby traps. Conditions in Fallujah are a disaster for civilians, but so far, they haven't seen any civilians yet, live or dead, although US. troops know they must be somewhere. What they are most afraid of is, that insurgents will use the civilians as a human shield.

So far 22 US.troops are dead and 170 wounded.

_______

Tanya

eagleeye

Post by eagleeye » Sun Nov 14, 2004 2:58 pm

Thanks to WonderKev, I saw a clip from this morning. DC in calm voice mode, talking about digging out a tank from, er, ankle deep sewage (!) in the small hours of the morning under enemy fire - the way you and I talk about going down to the kitchen to make tea...he's such a pro. A tired pro though.

Trivial point at a time like this - I see the Sky razor's bust. Ah well, it suits him, and who's got time to shave at a time like this!

Anyone else watching get the notion to put Bush and Blair (the Deadly Duo B&B) into a humvee at daybreak and send them out there through enemy fire?

eagleeye

Post by eagleeye » Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:37 am

Hell has broken out all over the place in Iraq; Falluja's just the beginning. Round One. I saw Sky News's Iraq coverage tonight - the questions with Anna B. David is looking very tired indeed and in need of a break from the horror. I hope that Sky aren't going to expect him to leave Falluja (whenever it is the marines deem it 'under control') and have to go off with them to their next hellstop. Especially as my video clip says the report was live on air at 5.40pm. Bounced from top story to the second half hour....

kev667

Post by kev667 » Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:50 am

It seems like DC has been truly bounced today. The only live he did was at 6am, his package has disappeared till almost the 'and finally' slot.. elephants stuck in trees etc.

As much as I'd like to see DC stay in Iraq and continue his excellent reporting, either in F or going to another city - I can't see the point in keeping The Man out there in danger if he's not even going to get on air. ..or, hopefully he's out creating another great package for Live at Five.

Stay safe David

Incident at Camp Dogwood - Soldier seriously injured by roadside bomb. ..stay safe Pete. ..and reports coming in of explosions in buenos aires, outside branches of citibank. <_< Hmm.

ta

KEv.

eagleeye

Post by eagleeye » Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:12 am

Can anyone confirm that DC has gone home and isn't in Iraq any more? Ditto Peter Sharp? (Later: oh no, poor PS is still there...)

I read this article by fellow 'embed' Paul Wood of the BBC. Short, but raises the issues all the same, including no journalists ever carrying a weapon.

http://media.guardian.co.uk/broadcast/story/0,7493,1355055,00.htmlhttp://media.guardian.co.uk/broadcast/stor...1355055,00.html>

Can I bleat on again about re-opening that elusive chatroom @ Sky News as I think quite a few of us would appreciate the opportunity to ask David some questions, especially now that the most unilateral of reporters has had to be 'embedded' to cover the story at all & with all that's going on in Iraq...if anyone from Sky is listening?!!

Tanya

Post by Tanya » Sun Nov 21, 2004 2:06 pm

I can't say if David Chater is still in Fallujah, his reports haven't been seen for the past 2-3 days. He might have already go back to England, or he was sent on other location. We'll see soon.

But I can say that Peter Sharp is still with the Black-Watch troops. He did a report, how they were running for cover, when few rockets hit the Camp Dogwood yesterday.

______

Tanya