David Chater

Discussions on news and breaking news events including, BBC News, ITV News, Sky News
Skybaby

Post by Skybaby » Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:48 am

Not been up to speed on news recently as much as I would like to be, but I've heard about all the hostages and uprisings in violence, and hope that all journalists and civillians stay safe. Would not like to be that 'someone' (JT?) that is being sent back to Iraq soon, but then again news reporting can't be fluffy bunny stories all of the time.

You do wonder when and how it's all going to end.

eagleeye

Post by eagleeye » Thu Apr 15, 2004 2:16 pm

Media Guardian today is taking the p*ss with April 13 reports on Sky about the detention of an aide of al Sadr and then a false newsflash about the arresting of al Sadr himself. Nice one, Fox! (the excellent Mr C had left Baghdad by then!)

For those of you who have your doubts also about the wisdom of sending reporters into Baghdad/Iraq right now, see (you have to register to read it now and of course it doesn't mention "Murdoch" journalists!!)

http://media.guardian.co.uk/broadcast/story/0,7493,1192684,00.htmlhttp://media.guardian.co.uk/broadcast/stor...1192684,00.html>

Story is that BBC and ITV are going to pull out their journalists , who are entirely confined to Baghdad and the immediate surroundings of their hotel/s, if the situation in Iraq does not improve as they cannot move around freely to report from other areas of Iraq plus run the risk of a high profile British TV journalist being taken and paraded as a hostage, as happened in Beirut in the 80s. Incidentally, each news team of BBC and ITV has many more than just one correspondent in Baghdad. The stress (ok and buzz) of being a top news channel's ONLY reporter must be immense.

I am very pleased that a journalist of the reputation and calibre of David Chater is OUT of there right now. I wish Lisa Holland luck and....stay in the hotel!

Ste

Post by Ste » Thu Apr 15, 2004 2:41 pm

Media Guardian today is taking the p*ss with April 13 reports on Sky about the detention of an aide of al Sadr and then a false newsflash about the arresting of al Sadr himself. Nice one, Fox! (the excellent Mr C had left Baghdad by then!)

Im not sure why you are blaming Fox for this! The original report came from a news agency like AFP or Reuters and was written in such a way that is wasnt clear if an aide of al Sadr was saying Al Sadr was captured or an Aide of Al Sadr had been captured. If it wasnt for Fox News in the last few days, Skys coverage would have been much weaker on the Iraq stories.

eagleeye

Post by eagleeye » Thu Apr 15, 2004 4:03 pm

Well, if it was a 'ticker' story and not a report, my apologies. I don't have Sky News at the mo'. Sorry! I know they rely on Fox as don't have the resources to have eg 5 reporters constantly there. But I think it makes it harder for Sky reporters to win awards that they are due (ie the Fox alliance; bad enough it seems in the judges' eyes to "work for Murdoch") ie DC and Emma Hurd, who amazingly wasn't even nominated either for a 'women in journalism' national award last year. Stuart Ramsay is also never recognised. etc. I was also having a go at mediaguardian for never recognising that Sky News is a serious news channel on major stories with some very fine reporters.

And no, I don't like Fox, I make no apologies for that. I wonder what will happen if everyone does pull out? Time to train some of the many Iraqi journalists in Baghdad?

eagleeye

Post by eagleeye » Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:30 am

No Intl Journo of the Year (even nomination!), no RTS, now no BAFTA. David and his team brought us a world exclusive, courtesy of their bravery and new technology and yet Sky News lost out to a team of C4 journos who had time to put a feature together. Not the intense pressure of just one reporter, one engineer, 2 cameramen and rolling news going "live" for hours. Do Sky management ask themselves why? Their team couldn't have done any more, or done their work any better.

I remember reading an article by Geoff Meade that said every journo at Centcom was watching Sky; even the moron Bush watched the Sky feed, and everyone I know incl the hardened "I only watch the BBC" types switched channels. So why's it been ignored by everyone except the NYC awards?

As for David, he must have choked yet again on his pudding if he had to be there and listen to praise that should have been coming his way (and the way of those few brave and talented guys who worked with him). You can pretend that awards don't matter and I'm sure he wasn't working so hard with one eye on 'awards time', but it still hurts like hell when you do such incredible work - the best possibly of a long and distinguished career - and it goes unrecognised.

What was he supposed to do after being consistently the only Brit to go "live" so eloquently on the first night's bombing of Baghdad; in the middle of the night from the hospitals; when the tank shell killed his Reuters colleagues (check out Google) and then the next day hit the deserted streets for hours all alone...maybe he's paying for supposedly'welcoming' the US marines in his fatigue induced euphoria, instead of borrowing the 'P*** off you wankers' sign he (almost) read out and waving it at them?!!!

Now if it were up to the public (everyone I know who has access to Sky watched the Fall of Baghdad on Sky, even the BBC diehards) it would be a different story - but that's not much consolation. But I'll say it again - David Chater was the bravest, the most eloquent and the best. By a desert mile.

So if you ever read this David, stuff 'em. I hope you're on holiday and can ignore the bastards. (I've spelled out the 'naughty words' rather than used **s. If anyone's shocked, I'm ******* sorry )

maxi

Post by maxi » Mon Apr 19, 2004 4:19 pm

It has to be an anti Sky, or anti Murdoch-London thing doesn't it? I couldn't agree more with what you say and my commiserations to David and his crew. It must be a totally lousy feeling doing your best, knowing you were the best and losing out.

I read that the Telegraph refused to have Sky News in its newsroom until recently and mediaguardian's website acts like they don't exist either. But I also think Sky didn't promote their coverage that well, until lately when 'The Fall of Saddam: one year on' appeared on their website which looked inappropriate.

Awards often don't go to the deserving. Does anyone else remember when Burt Reynolds didn't win an oscar for Boogie Nights and the camera cut to him when the winner was announced, saying "S***". Not that David's Sky's answer or journalism's answer to Burt though

CuriosityUK

Post by CuriosityUK » Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:29 am

Hi all,

I was disappointed to see we didn't get any award for the "Fall of Baghdad" but I'm just glad people remember and appreciate what we went through to broadcast that day. Thank you, Josh

maxi

Post by maxi » Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:38 pm

Hello again Josh! I don't think anyone who saw what you did that day is going to forget just how hard it was for you all and just how incredibly good you were. I'm just sorry that the judges are so short sighted. The disappointment must be acute, especially I suppose for David who's a bit older and has been reporting so well for so many years now. One thing I remember was David joking after the marines arrived that he saw an ITN crew in the square who couldn't go live as they didn't have the technology.

C4=ITN crew or am I mistaken?

Anyhow take care and be glad you are not engineering in Baghdad right now as it looks even worse than the fall of Saddam time. I would be very interested in hearing about how you feel about how it's all turned out. I'm sure I'm not alone in that. That day everything seemed possible for Iraq if it was handled right. Now everything seems impossible. It's tragic.

eagleeye

Post by eagleeye » Fri Apr 23, 2004 4:44 pm

Hi all,

I was disappointed to see we didn't get any award for the "Fall of Baghdad" but I'm just glad people remember and appreciate what we went through to broadcast that day. Thank you, Josh

For newbies or those who were on Mars Josh Mainka is the engineer who made it technologically possible for all of us to watch David walk around the square talking "live" to the marines, using Sky's digilink technology that they had to keep smuggled away from the eyes of their Iraqi secret service minders throughout the war. This technology gave Sky a world exclusive. It was Josh who got the thing (note my mastery of techspeak) to work.

eagleeye

Post by eagleeye » Sat May 01, 2004 11:26 am

Now I don't want to talk to myself more than normal and most of my old mates seem to be awol from this forum now [oi you lot, come back], but I've just been in London - saw Sky for 2x10mins and managed to run into Tim Marshall...twice!! as the Sky "official Iraq/Baghdad expert in studio"...

Ho hum.

See there's been a bit of aggro about how ancient 51 is - or isn't - on another forum topic...just for the record, to the best of my (not hugely impressive) knowledge, the excellent Mr C is a very fine 51!!! (some of you lot go on like there's no life after 50 )

Anyhow, eez Monsieur Chater still away and can someone post if and when he reappears in England or on assignment pls? Thank you.

Skyless, Eagleyeless & who knows what else less