David Chater

Discussions on news and breaking news events including, BBC News, ITV News, Sky News
thurber

Post by thurber » Sun May 09, 2004 4:13 pm

Chater looks tired imo.

As this doubles often as a forum on Iraq and Sky's coverage of it, can someone tell me if when a reporter such as Chater goes in, he goes with the like of Centurion security experts and are they armed? I was perusing their website and they complain that many journalists insist that they be unarmed. It raises the question of security vs journalistic ethics even though the journalist is not carrying arms.

I was also astonished by the number of nasty innoculations necessary before entering Iraq. No wonder he looks tired.

Steven

Post by Steven » Tue May 11, 2004 5:16 pm

David was voicing the package about the Glasgow Disaster today.

eagleeye

Post by eagleeye » Thu May 13, 2004 6:19 pm

thanks Steven.

As for security, all someone told me once was that they took in ex SAS people. I also wonder if they are armed. Obviously journalists can't be armed. Does anyone know if their minders are?

I know the press are all sent on these "how to survive in danger zone" courses but there's not much you can do in some of the Iraq scenarios. I also went to the website; some dark humour - they teach you 'how not to panic'. Dad's Army time?!

Someone is going to go in at the end of June for the 'handover' if it happens. Wonder if that will be David's turn again. In the meantime, I take it he's doing voiceovers and is suitbound.

eagleeye

Post by eagleeye » Thu May 20, 2004 6:14 pm

Oi, fellow forum dwellers, that was a question!

Steven

Post by Steven » Thu May 20, 2004 6:45 pm

Oi, fellow forum dwellers, that was a question!

I really don't know about the minders being armed thing.

With regards to the handover, David owden has only just been drafted in so presumably his stint'll be up by the end of June. David must be the natural choice to go for that occasion. Perhaps they'll use 2 correspondents. Peter Sharpe, to my recollection, hasn't seen Baghdad in a while.

edofis

Post by edofis » Thu May 20, 2004 6:47 pm

I've no idea what he's upto at the moment. I think it ought to be David and it probably will as he was there at the beginning and then for the anniversary.

Ed

eagleeye

Post by eagleeye » Mon May 24, 2004 5:55 pm

He always seems to find himself there when it turns ugly!

I wonder if there will be anyone left standing to "hand over power to" (???!!! power? to the IGC?!) come end June. That militia/army seem to be gunning for everyone either literally or with most effective intimidation, and the US strategy isn't helping either.

However there will most likely be a deluge of journalists braving it down there....or maybe not. At the moment, they are all keeping just one correspondent because it's so unsafe.

With the torture of Arab journalists working for Reuters, not even local journos are safe® any more. It makes this a really tough one to cover. I wish I could ask David these questions...

Steven

Post by Steven » Mon May 24, 2004 5:56 pm

Well ITV have sent Bill Neely into Basra. He did a report today on the jails under English control. I'm not sure whether he is there specifically for that purpose or is planning to stay there longer.

You would think that the news organisations would be sending in there top people. Has Tim Marshall done anything abroad recently? I get a feeling that they'll be reporting on something slightly different to the actual 'hand-over', unfortunately.

eagleeye

Post by eagleeye » Thu May 27, 2004 6:36 pm

hehe. Don't get me started on when 'world affairs expert' Mr Marshall last went to Iraq. Ok , ok, so someone's got to stay at home and check all the incoming news wires but...

I guess you can get into Basra from Kuwait can you? Britzone a little more peaceful, relatively speaking.

I think David et al, if it is him, will be going into Baghdad. That's where you have to be end June. Is t'other large David still there?

Steven

Post by Steven » Thu May 27, 2004 6:38 pm

Bowden, I presume.

He is indeed.