Steve on his own for News at 10

Discussions on news and breaking news events including, BBC News, ITV News, Sky News
Steven

Post by Steven » Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:46 am

Actually, I beg to differ...the evening slots are high profile. There is no reason why Sky should offer an inferior product at 10pm so people have to turn over to BBC 1.

Evening slots are the best times for attracting viewers as people are home from work...bigger audience to attract. Therefore they should be offering a product that is worthy to challenge the terrestial channels.

Ben

Well, I'm not saying that they shouldn't be high profile. If you look at some of my previous posts you'll see that I have taken quite a few opportunities to mention the need for better evening programming. Nobody wants to see quality prime-time programming more than me. My point was that it isn't high profile because Sky News don't consider it to be. There is history to this; Sky News has never really performed well in the evenings.

Why? I believe it is because in the evenings people don't want to see rolling news. They want that during the daytime, whilst they are on the go. So that they can dip in and out, as they please. In the evenings people want to watch drama, entertainment, films, etc with a news summary programme. So with 6 million people already tuning into BBC1 at 10pm why try to split that audience. Surely it is better to offer a product at 8pm or 9pm. Remember Sky are a business and any money they invest must be able to reap the ad revenue. A quality programme at 10pm with a low audience - because they are all watching the Beeb - isn't going to cut it.

Newsroom

Post by Newsroom » Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:33 am

Also Steve was presenting the 8pm-midnight slot on his own on a FRIDAY....Most people at 10o'clock on a Friday are not watching SkyNews-especially that Friday where BigBrother was on Channel4 and the national news was on BBC-other people were out being a Friday night.#

Also it is July-generally speaking people are on holidays and there is less "NEWS" this time of year....also there were no major breaking news stories and so Steve was more than capable of coping on his own.

Steven

Post by Steven » Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:25 pm

Also Steve was presenting the 8pm-midnight slot on his own on a FRIDAY....

It was Thursday Newsroom. Otherwise, good points made.

Newsroom

Post by Newsroom » Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:39 pm

Sky News should not be treated as a substitute for BBC News, and as a channel viewers tune into when there is no news on the BBC. By not competing properly in the evening slots they are admitting that the programming they offer is not as good as that found on terrestial channels.

Sky News could easily offer a programme to rival the 10 O'Clock News and ITV News (on ITV) especially now with freeview, as more people are getting access to Sky News.

There is no reason that Sky should not directly compete with the BBC in this slot - the BBC did the same to ITV when they moved the news from 9pm to 10pm. By offering a sub-standard product at 10pm Sky are pushing viewers towards the BBC News and in a way admitting that their programme is not as good.

Sky News evenings could be turned into more 'bulletin' style programmes like the BBC's bulletins adding more analysis and coverage of the news that happened during the day, but also adding the unique Sky News breaking news aspect.

Rolling news is good, but Sky also need some more defined programmes like Sky News Today and Live at Five. Sky News at Ten is just not dynamic enough and different.

Ben

simon from thanet

Post by simon from thanet » Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:34 pm

Not necessary! In many occasions there have been 2 male presenters. .

That did used to be the case, however now male and female presenters are used at all times when there are 2 presetners, to keep it like this a Live at Five presetner will do a double shift if needed.

Newsroom

Post by Newsroom » Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:00 pm

Steven+Jul 12 2004, 12:20 AM(Steven @ Jul 12 2004, 12:20 AM)

It was Thursday Newsroom. Otherwise, good points made.

It was a Friday

Perhaps it happened on a Thursday aswell?

Steven

Post by Steven » Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:50 pm

Oh, how odd. As I recall Allan King and Hannah O'Sullivan presented Friday evening. Surely Steve didn't do Friday evening then Saturday Sunrise?

Newsroom

Post by Newsroom » Thu Jul 15, 2004 5:22 pm

Sorry!! Yes you are fully and totally correct......I got a bit mixed up!