U.S. Elections

Discussions on news and breaking news events including, BBC News, ITV News, Sky News
Kristian

Post by Kristian » Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:48 pm

NTSC resolution isn't as high as our PAL resolution. That's probably the issue to an extent, or entirely. I don't remember exactly how blurry it was.

eagleeye

Post by eagleeye » Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:48 pm

HELP! Kevo, Ed, anyone...I've just been reading the Village Voice's election coverage (people are pressing the e-button to vote for Kerry and they're getting Bush ie the lawyers are warming up their bank balances) and this is what I read...(posted by Rick Perlstein):

coloro:redfonto:Arial/fonto"It's, like, heavier than the Sixties, man!

Forty years ago this week John M. Bailey, chairman of the Democratic National Committee, sent out an angry press release charging that "under the guise of setting up an apparatus to protect the sanctity of the ballot, the Republicans are actually creating the machinery for a carefully organized campaign to intimidate voters and to frighten members of minority groups from casting their ballots on November 3rd."

The Republican vote-suppression effort in 1964 was called "Operation Eagle Eye." colorcfontc/fontc

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH. What's an EE to do? I am benign and am not a Bush plant (sorry that's a baaad one)

PS Is ANYONE left at Sky in London?! Hello, lonely person!

Johnnie
Site Admin

Post by Johnnie » Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:38 pm

Ray Kennedy is in Washington for Sky News Ireland..

Johnnie
Site Admin

Post by Johnnie » Tue Nov 02, 2004 1:23 pm

Sky News have updated the static ticker:

Steven

Post by Steven » Tue Nov 02, 2004 4:25 pm

Can I just go on the record and say that I'm reasonably impressed with Sky News' coverage so far. They've assembled a top notch team; JT and Etchers - my 2 top anchors, Adam Boulton - Political Editor and top rate analyser, Tim Marshall (no comments from Eagleeye please) Foreign Affairs Editor, Keith Graves - veteran Foreign Affairs Correspondent, of course the excellent Washington Correspondents Andrew Wilson (and yes wasn't his Sky Across America programme good) and Ian Woods, plus the young talent of Alex Rossi - who I'm impressed with (perhaps on his way to Jo'berg?).

I particularly liked Tim's newspaper analysis during Sunrise and SN Today this morning.

However, one gripe, if you'll alow, is that this election for me has highlighted the need for Sky News to have a proper Washington Bureau, with the ability to present programmes from it - all this roof top presentation stuff is starting to look a little amateurish.

Johnnie
Site Admin

Post by Johnnie » Tue Nov 02, 2004 7:04 pm

100% Agreed....

I like the latest /news alert strap.

philg

Post by philg » Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:46 pm

Agreed Stephen, except about the studio. I quite like the rooftop one they are using, at least it shows they are there, and gives an immediacy to everything. The BBC one from inside their Washington complex and the ITV one could be coming from anywhere as there are only screens. At least with Sky's and some of the other ones seen, eg: BBC rooftop position used on national news bulletins, and ITV one Trevor MacDonald was on last night you feel as though you really are just outside the White House.

Great coverage, all it needs is Martin Stanford with all his virtual reality stuff, which tends to be like them all- crap but good to watch!

Newsroom

Post by Newsroom » Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:33 pm

George Bush was giving a talk to Americans on how awful France's business and economic affairs were ( because France was opposed to his ideas on the Iraq war). One comment he made about the French was that "there was not even a French equivalent to the word entrepreneur" !!!!!!

Mr Byrne

Post by Mr Byrne » Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:37 pm

LOL @ Newsroom, Iremember that that was great, kind of like during the last election when he was asked about Northern Ireland and he goes "what state is that in?"

As regards the Sky Dtudio, I'm sure they could use a Fox studio any time they want and I think they're fine where they are however, that is not exclusively for Sky News!!!!! - Newsroom will agree with me that if you were to look at the Irish state broadcaster - RTE - w http://www.rte.ie/news">http://www.rte.ie/news> w (if you have the technology you can watch it) you will notice that they're reporting from right beside Sky News LOL. And the other day on sunrise I heard noise of people talking in the backround so I perume there is several networks from around the world at or near that particular location where Sky are reporting. It isn't unusual for that to happen.

However, I think its a terrible waste of money to have a SNI reporter in Wahsington and for the record, as far as I could tell, he isn't reporting from your famous and inexclusive Sky News desk (which I persume is just temporary).

Johnnie
Site Admin

Post by Johnnie » Wed Nov 03, 2004 11:46 am

philg+Nov 2 2004, 09:02 PM(philg @ Nov 2 2004, 09:02 PM)

Great coverage, all it needs is Martin Stanford with all his virtual reality stuff, which tends to be like them all- crap but good to watch!

Well, it's 11.13pm and the man in question is at the Newswall, Number crunching... oh and new audio bed and sting... Nice