Anjali Rao

Discussions on news and breaking news events including, BBC News, ITV News, Sky News
rob237

Post by rob237 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:19 pm

txwharfrat+Jul 8 2005, 01:43 AM(txwharfrat @ Jul 8 2005, 01:43 AM)

That does not make me a stalker... just very impressed.

"Stalker-a-like" - not stalker!

None of us (I hope!) are Stalkers - just fans who'd like to see Anjali do well, having been impressed by her! (And I expect that if Anjali ever did a PA to "meet her fans" some of us might go and pay our respects and say hi ?!), but apparently this is unlikely as we are told this kind of thing is not likely, as she wants to keep her career/privacy separate - fair enough.

Some might ask if this is possible when you have chosen to appear nationally/internationally on TV as a presenter - but this is the same debate as Actors who are doing an entertainment job and don't expect their privacy to be invaded in their personal lives - and it goes without saying that Sky News presenters do not use the media to further their careers when it suits them - unlike actors.

Which brings us to Indomedia and his anjalirao.com fan tribute site - he was asked to take it down I think, as it was believed contacts who said they knew anjali (or knew of her opinions) said that she is a private person beyond her journalism career who does not want a fan-site, or increased exposure/coverage/career, and has no interest in divulging her, quite-righlty, private life - beyond the odd email or letter of thanks. So I think Indo took it down in respect for those wishes ?

Although I think we all agree that Anjali is stunning-looking, and that's what initially makes you watch her (if a man - or women too?) when flipping channels, etc., that is only the start: there is then that "something" in her natural, friendly style - or maybe it's just because she smiles more at the camera than other presenters ? Add a pure English public-school authoritative news presentation voice/intonation which completes the package - and this makes her far more unique - and watchable - ("listenable ?!") - than many other Sky news , or any - new presenters !

As said somewhere else on (yet another!) Anjali thread - (and have you noticed the number of threads where people say "who is this ?" and it turns out to be Anjali?! the most mentions/posts than any other presenter I reckon) - it has to be repeated - Anjali was looking/sounding particularly good recently during the Olympic overnight bid coverage the past week - may have had a bit of a break for R&R which has done her good ? Somebody was saying she may have lost weight which seems to have suited her - I'd agree. (Plus the too-short haircut has grown-out nicely now! Somewhere else I read that she may be, or have had, a baby recently - and the terms "mother is glowing" seem appropriate - if that is true ?

Well all I can say is, what with her increasing role on Five news sessions also, maybe Sky are giving Anjali the increased exposure whihc may mean she will get offers to move/do more in future - more power to her elbow if she wants to do it!

Maybe I could start a sub-thread here: suggest new career-progression journalism jobs Anjali should do next after Sky News?

My suggestions to start off:

- Sky News daytime presenter!

- move to BBC News 24 for a daytime sofa / desk slot!

- be the new face of ITN News presentation - they need to save their ratings!

- present the BBC3 7pm News on the sofa with Patrick O'Connell, the current co-presenter (Paddy is formerly the BBC News24 World Business Report US finance reporter, before Liquid News and sometime LBC radio stand-in presenter!)

- Present Strictly Come Dancing and be the new Kaplinsky!

- How about presenting Countdown ?

- Or will Anjali end-up, like it seems they all do - on bid.tv shopping/auction channel - before moving to Big Game TV and presenting a premium-rate phone-oin lottery "interactive" rip-off money-making scheme.

Cheers, Phae.

P.S. Off-topic, but re. tv presenters: What happened to Sarah Hendy and the BBC3 Destination Three late night- "yoof" slots - BRING BACK THE FARSCAPE EPISODES THEY WERE SHOWING SUCCESSIVE NIGHTS WHICH MOVED TO AFTER Dr. Who - which has now ENDED !!!

P.P..S. How come none of these people talk about ME and *MY* career in the same way here ?!!? Lol

Cheers, Phae (a face for Radio - not TV!)

rob237

Post by rob237 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:31 pm

hey tx... agree with all your post! Now you see what we see in her!

http://www.solent.tvhttp://www.solent.tv

Sky news streaming for part of their schedule - the following (Isle of wight/uk local tv station) stream their tv channel on the internet.

Some of their streaming broadcast slots include Sky News slots at midnight (UK time) and other times of the day -

e.g. (UK BST times): from http://www.solent.tv/listings.aspxhttp://www.solent.tv/listings.aspx> Sat 09 July:

Saturday 09 July

00:00 Sky News

Solent TV joins our colleagues at the Sky Newsroom for the latest top of the hour award winning news from around the world.

Category: News

03:00 Sky News

Solent TV joins our colleagues at the Sky Newsroom for the latest top of the hour award winning news from around the world.

07:00 Sky News

so you may be able to catch Anjali - and if not, at least Sky News - via the internet at:

http://www.solent.tvhttp://www.solent.tv

Hope that is useful for our american cousins - time-zones / sleep permitting! - let me know if it is and it works for you!

Cheers, P.

txwharfrat

Post by txwharfrat » Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:10 pm

Thanks a bunch for the info. I checked it out and it works fine on my computer ... well, as fine as streaming internet video can be.

Anyway, so what times does Ms. Rao usually present? Is it just weeknights midnight - five AM? What about weekends? Withe the time change (six hours behind y'all), the midnight shift works great for me!

HBox

Post by HBox » Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:34 pm

Her shift pattern fluctuates. She could be doing nights (UK time) or weekdays or weekends. Unfortunately she doesn't have a set shift.

DDP

Post by DDP » Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:32 pm

So I think Indo took it down in respect for those wishes ?

More likely it was down to the fact he never updated, had little to update with, got bored of it, had little traffic who saw no change and was getting hit with the bill each month to keep it alive. I wouldn't keep it up. And seeing as he gave short order to whoever complained to him in the first place, I doubt it would be down to a complaint.

Maybe i'm wrong, maybe he did take it down out of respect as a result of an unknown third party who could frankly have been anyone. But I wouldn't keep it going under those circumstances, and not because it mildly annoys someone.

It would have been a lot easier to just start a group on yahoo :ph34r:

rob237

Post by rob237 » Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:36 am

txwharfrat+Jul 9 2005, 10:52 AM(txwharfrat @ Jul 9 2005, 10:52 AM)

Anyway, so what times does Ms. Rao usually present? Is it just weeknights midnight - five AM? What about weekends?

While it's true that Ms. Rao has appeared around the schedule, her most common slot does appear to be the 12 to 5am overnight slot.

She has done a few regular (Sat. afternoon/5pm type slots) for a few weeks in the recent past also - I note Johnnie (?) listed her as overnight/weekend presenter categorisation at one point.

I also think they've used Anjali to cover other daytime presenter's absence , e.g. vacation absence - as she was seen for a period on the "2-person" morning slots for a while last year - Sunrise, etc. - but recently seems to have reverted to her most-common overnight 00:00 onwards slot. That suits me for when I get in late!

Interesting that in her "2-person" slots she seems not to fit-in as well - the male presenter always looks awkward and inadequate beside her - she always seems to sit to the right "between" the male co-presenter and sports presenter (real or "mimicked virtual") - and seems to have a better rapport with the sportsperson than her male co-presenter!

Anyway - so what about people's suggestions here for Anjali's next career move ?! What would people like to see her do next - either at Sky or elsewhere - my starters for 10 are listed a few posts earlier... so I won't repeat again here.

Cheers, Phae.

txwharfrat

Post by txwharfrat » Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:38 am

I just got back to Texas from another trip to Europe. I didn't see Angali Rao on Sky News at all during the overnight times. Any ideas when she's presenting now?

rob237

Post by rob237 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:05 am

txwharfrat+Jul 22 2005, 08:59 PM(txwharfrat @ Jul 22 2005, 08:59 PM)

I didn't see Angali Rao on Sky News at all during the overnight times. Any ideas when she's presenting now?

Afraid not. I've not seen Anjali on the news for a while either - I usually watch late evening and early evening weekends. Maybe I'm missing her morning or early afternoon slots ? She has done some days around early afternoon (3pm BST - e.g. 7 or 8 am US time).

Maybe she is on vacation ? B)

Cheers, P.

HBox

Post by HBox » Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:17 am

She was presenting with Viv and Helen Fospero on Sky News over the weekend

sky.dub

Post by sky.dub » Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:26 am

Angali's handling of a breaking news story is poor.