Anjali Rao

Discussions on news and breaking news events including, BBC News, ITV News, Sky News
Hello

Post by Hello » Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:15 am

Newsroom+Oct 1 2004, 10:54 PM(Newsroom @ Oct 1 2004, 10:54 PM)

AnJali is a MEMBER of this forum !!!!!!!

Hi Anjali.

I wonder who the other two presenters are that are members of this forum. Any thoughts anyone?

fishcakes

Post by fishcakes » Wed Oct 06, 2004 4:40 pm

They are:........

Kay Burley and Jacquie Beltrao.

rob237

Post by rob237 » Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:00 pm

STOP PRESS!!!

AnjaliWOW - You and I will both be keen to see that page 5 of AnJali's SkyNewscente Picture Pages now contain photos of an AnJali WALL WALK !!!

http://skynewscentre.co.uk/viewpictures.asp?Page=5&ShowSub=images/AnjaliRaohttp://skynewscentre.co.uk/viewpictures.as...mages/AnjaliRao>

Oh happy day

Whoever captured and posted that (Johnnie) THANK YOU!

AnjaliWOW will be forever in your debt, methinks!

Cheers, P.

AnjaliWOW

Post by AnjaliWOW » Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:08 am

Oh boy!! Oh Boy!!

Thanking you very much ( whomever is responsible? )

At last the AnJali wallwalk.

Indeed phaedrusuk, happy, happy days and thank you too for notifying me about the wallwalk pics, much obliged...

Can't figure how I missed this?? :huh:

When did this happen?

Now I'll have to scan every timeslot on SkyNews to watch out for the gorgeous AnJali in the hope of getting more wallwalk scenes and posting some of my own pics.

Here's to more full length viewing of AnJali in the future!!

Johnnie
Site Admin

Post by Johnnie » Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:38 am

1st October - she was with Allan King I think... (8pm-12am)

rob237

Post by rob237 » Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:40 pm

Johnnie+Oct 13 2004, 08:28 PM(Johnnie @ Oct 13 2004, 08:28 PM)

1st October - she was with Allan King I think... (8pm-12am)

P.S. So have we outed Johnnie the Site Admin / Creator as yet another secret AnJali fan too ?! Good stuff !

[ Off topic ] Thanks Johnnie - as you are the master of this site... can I just ask - where do you find time to sit and monitor Sky News and do all this. Do you have a day job - or is it Sky/media related ?! Reply off-line if you prefer...

Anyway, nice to "meet" you at last - and can I take this opportunity to say: THANKS for this site/forum!

Cheers, Phaedrus.

Aztech500

Post by Aztech500 » Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:19 pm

Hello again everyone, I've been busy with academic life lately and haven't had the time to put in my usual level of Anjali-worship these past weeks. Probably for the best

A few of you have sent me new information for the fan site (http://anjalirao.comAnjaliRao.com), which I will stick on there tomorrow. I will also try to set up a blog or message board for those of us crazy enough to sit and talk about the lovely Anjali at length. I'll post here again when it's all set up.

Regarding some of the discussion here, I think it's fair to say that few of us were drawn to Ms. Rao because we thought she was the best news presenter we'd ever seen. Then again, I don't think anyone ever framed their interest in her in terms of journalistic prowess. Living in America now, the idea of a newscaster as anything more than a pop-culture figure seems a bit quaint; the media here is so personality driven that the style becomes the substance, and news 'anchors' are appreciated as much for their personal qualities as their ostensible professional abilities. Since they're just reading the news most of the time anyway, rather than writing the stories, producing the video segments, or even conducting the interviews, there's not much else on which to judge them anyway.

That said, it was Ms. Rao's efforts at professionalism that I found so charming (I can't see her anymore, so I'm speaking from my memories of her at StarTV). In an age where so many presenters, at least over here, try to inject their own personalities into newscasts, I found Ms. Rao to be anachronistically straight-laced and proper. I wouldn't argue that she had the most trenchant knowledge of current events that I'd seen in a newscaster, but I was impressed at how seriously she seemed to take her job, and when she did do interview segments--even though she sometimes seemed a bit nervous--she was always very well prepared, and not afraid to ask some confrontational questions. In a sense, I felt a certain levity at the prospect that I was witnessing the beginning of what would be a great career -- a relatively inexperienced news presenter who was nevertheless doing things the old fashioned way, rather than trying to be sarcastic or gimmicky in her delivery. I certainly wish we had someone like her over here!

Oh, and did I mention she's drop-dead gorgeous?

In any event, I don't take my admiration of Anjali Rao too seriously, and I suspect the rest of the group here doesn't either. But I certainly agree with those who have speculated that she has the potential to become a top notch presenter. Just give her a chance.

- IndoMedia

rob237

Post by rob237 » Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:19 pm

Indo - Thanks for the update.

1. You CAN watch Sky News (UK) ; via the Internet ! See the Midnight schedule for http://www.solent.tvhttp://www.solent.tv (Isle of Wight, England/Solent local TV channel) when they feature Sky News internet live streaming each night from 00:00 (GMT) . The Live streaming link is here:

http://www.solent.tv/watch.aspxhttp://www.solent.tv/watch.aspx>

If AnJali is on at these times (not so much these days), then you're in Luck!

But at least you can see Sky News, if not AnJali, at this time- which works out at about 6PM for you ?

2. I have to politely disagree with some of your other comments/observations, not only in respect of Ms. Rao, but also re. US news anchors that I've seen via BBC Nwws 24 and Sky News:

From what I've seen of US TV news channels, they seem to be about 20 years BEHIND UK TV/news media in terms of anchor style/presentation. The stuffed shirts, sat behind desks. e.g. on UK Five news, they often now sit in front/on top of the news desks - now adopted UK-wide as almost the standard for informal news presentation style. but the presentation/vocal style is far more animated/informal than these strange US "windsor-knotted" tie & pressed shirt/jacket types!

- the ABC World News tonight (Peter Jennings?) and CBS World News (forgotten) anchors are the most personality-free, straight, wooden, dead "stuffed-shirt" anchors I've ever seen - they are more like the BBC presenters (e.g. Michael Aspel, robert Robinson from the early days of UK/ITV TV news of the 1950's - I think they are awful - US TV news style/presentation (and content!) seems far-behind the average UK terrestrial/BSkyB news presenters - who seem much less-formal, more relaxed and who seem to communicate more easily. They do no get in the way of the news content.

I really do not enjoy the US TV anchor news presentations I've seen so far - the stories are less detailed, less accurate and more "tabloid" - yet the PRESENTATION of them is more formal, wooden and less "viewer-friendly" than ever seen in the UK in the past 20 years - a very strange combination.

[ My only caveat to the above is we are probably seeing the "Global world news - akin to the BBC world service output?" and not the internal US-only ABC/CBS typical anchor/news feed - where I suspect they may use more personality-driven presenters ?]

3. As for AnJali's capabilities as a TV news anchor/journalist - it';s the whole package really, isn't it. I think she DOES put BOTH her personality - AND professionalism - into her TV news presentation style. This is what makes her stand-out to me on Sky News as a presenter - both friendly/personable AND professional. As opposed to some who just read it "neutrally" - I would say she is more like the US TV anchors you describe with personality - but NOT like the US wooden TV anchors I describe above!

Hope that adds for some more healthy debate/topics, anyway!

Cheers, Phaedrus.

AnjaliWOW

Post by AnjaliWOW » Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:14 pm

Well... I just think AnJali's gorgeous!!

rob237

Post by rob237 » Sat Oct 16, 2004 12:28 am

AnjaliWOW+Oct 14 2004, 08:19 PM(AnjaliWOW @ Oct 14 2004, 08:19 PM)

Well... I just think AnJali's gorgeous!!

Yeah, OK AnjaliWOW, I get the message! And I wholeheartedly agree !

My point is: that is NOT ALL - AnJali is ALSO very good at her job, with an excellent, unique presentation-style that I much prefer, compared to some of the other stuffy, overly-forced 'formal' presenter-styles.

Cheers, Phaedrus.