No Sky News...

Discussions on news and breaking news events including, BBC News, ITV News, Sky News
Gems

Post by Gems » Sat Feb 28, 2004 10:10 pm

Balou

Have you got Sky News again?

Hi! Yeah, finally Sky News is back! For short times there are still some difficulties but it is okay now....

Balou

Hope you got it back for good!

lakewood

Post by lakewood » Sun Feb 29, 2004 8:26 am

Sunday - sound keeps breaking up in germany as does the signal - most of the time since about 3 weeks or so the sound / lip sync is appalling - most of the time the sound is way ahead of the lips -

can anyone explain whats happening and the cause of it?

thanks

maxi

Post by maxi » Sun Feb 29, 2004 6:46 pm

I have also been having difficulties with Sky News in Germany during the last 2 weeks with the picture and sound breaking up, while I do not experience the problem with other programmes on my digital receiver. Last monday the Sky News signal was not available for some hours.

I have also noticed on my receiver that the channel name has changed to read "Sky News International"

Gems

Post by Gems » Sun Feb 29, 2004 7:05 pm

Actually, thinking about it. The other night I was attempting to watch Sky News and there was no sound for hours although the picture was fine. A couple of days later there was no Sky News. And thats in the UK.

Stephane

Post by Stephane » Tue Mar 02, 2004 4:17 pm

Hi there

I had the same problem here in France via satelite, but now it is all back to normal, except that the channel is now called Sky News International, and instead of commercials I get graphics with headlines and promos for the channel...

see you

Stephane

eagleeye

Post by eagleeye » Tue Mar 02, 2004 5:53 pm

Did you have to pay a lot for Sky in France Stephane or did you get it on canalsatellite? I got quoted a fortune for just the (legal) free to air news channels...you can p.m me if you prefer. thanks

maxi

Post by maxi » Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:38 pm

I am interested in your experiences in France.

In Germany I changed my Satellite Dish to a 90 cm Dish (which gives a much better Sky News reception than smaller dishes in Germany) and a good quality Digital receiver. I don't have any other additional costs to receive Sky News. I would also like to receive other Sky programs but Sky do try to make it as difficult as possible for us to obtain Sky Cards outside the UK and Ireland. I really do wonder why we have a European Community if we are not allowed to legally purchase Sky Cards.

Perhaps that is why we value Sky News so much.

Stephane

Post by Stephane » Tue Mar 02, 2004 8:07 pm

Did you have to pay a lot for Sky in France Stephane or did you get it on canalsatellite? I got quoted a fortune for just the (legal) free to air news channels...you can p.m me if you prefer. thanks  :)

Hi...

Well I only get SkyNews from Sky, since the others from the Sky package are all "Pay" Channels.

As far as I know CNN and CNBC are the only other FTA newschannels available on ASTRA (English speaking) There used to be the US FOXNEWS but now it is Pay TV as well. Other than that if you want US News there also is the CBS Evening News broadcasted on Sky, there also used to be ABC World News Tonight, but that has unfortunately (at least for me since I enjoyed watching the schow for a network I used to work for a few years back) been cancelled about 3 or so years ago, about at the same time it was cancelled on Canal+ in France.

Which FTA newschannels where you quoted a fortune for ?

I would also like to receive other Sky programs but Sky do try to make it as difficult as possible for us to obtain Sky Cards outside the UK and Ireland. I really do wonder why we have a European Community if we are not allowed to legally purchase Sky Cards.  

Perhaps that is why we value Sky News so much.

That might be why I also would like to receive other Sky News Programs or even Channels offered on Sky Digital like BBC, etc, basically everything that is in English, but it seems to be hard to get those legally outside of the UK and Ireland. We have the same problems here in France. Too bad, since you do get about 30 German Channels free, none in English, except the newschannels. But then again it is almost the same with French Channels...

see you

Stephane

eagleeye

Post by eagleeye » Tue Mar 02, 2004 8:24 pm

OK so you have Astra. I didn't want that as it had too many German channels and no French ones or movies in English.

Do you know if Canalsatellite still has and plans to keep Sky News going in France? You can never be sure that it won't be pulled.

The cost issue is not the card as you can't get those legally in France. Sky News is legal. It's the cost of even a reconditioned decoder from the Brit suppliers in France - no doubt aimed at wealthy Brits in their country houses in the Dordogne - and the incredibly high cost of installation (labour by a local installer) and dish compared to the UK. The whole package was offered to me for about 600 euros. Non, merci.

Stephane

Post by Stephane » Tue Mar 02, 2004 8:39 pm

OK so you have Astra. I didn't want that as it had too many German channels and no French ones or movies in English.

Do you know if Canalsatellite still has and plans to keep Sky News going in France? You can never be sure that it won't be pulled.

The cost issue is not the card as you can't get those legally in France. Sky News is legal. It's the cost of even a reconditioned decoder from the Brit suppliers in France - no doubt aimed at wealthy Brits in their country houses in the Dordogne - and the incredibly high cost of installation (labour by a local installer) and dish compared to the UK. The whole package was offered to me for about 600 euros. Non, merci.

Well, I chose the wrong word, I did not mean it was illegal, but I meant it is hard to get and exprensive.

Well as far as I know Canalsatellite is also at 19.2?E, so don't you get the other FTA Channels (you might not want them, but do you receive them) liek the german channels. If you do, you'll be able to get SKYNEWS even if Canalsat decides to take it off its lineup because it is also available as a FTA Channel. Hope this information helps.

Stephane