No Sky News...

Discussions on news and breaking news events including, BBC News, ITV News, Sky News
st1407

Post by st1407 » Thu Mar 04, 2004 1:12 pm

Hi, I also have these problems with SKY News here in Germany. I thought that are problems with my own dish - but now as I read this, I think it's a problem with SKY News. Right at the moment I just get the note from my digital receiver "Wrong Signal"

st1407

eagleeye

Post by eagleeye » Thu Mar 04, 2004 5:05 pm

Does anyone in France get Sky News on Canalsatellite or Canal+ (not Astra) as their website is really....well, not so good.

Tanya

Post by Tanya » Fri Mar 05, 2004 5:06 am

I really don't know what's going on with Sky News signal, but these problems with picture and sound breaking up are getting annoyed already. It seems like that problems have started since they changed their signal for abroad viewers into "Sky News International". I hope they are still working on it and that this kind of quality is not permanent.

Tanya

eagleeye

Post by eagleeye » Sat Mar 06, 2004 1:32 pm

Don't know if it's true, but I have heard that Sky beam their news channel abroad where they get no advertising revenue, just for PR reasons. This bothers me as I guess they could just pull the channel if they keep having tech problems which cost them money. Hope not.

Still waiting for any news of Sky on canalsatellite/canal+. Their website says "use the contact us link" which mais naturellement does not exist.

eagleeye

Post by eagleeye » Wed Mar 10, 2004 3:27 pm

In one of this month's French satellite TV magazines I have just read a press release which says that from now on, Sky viewers in Europe (and presumably South Africa, Middle East & elsewhere except Australia??) will get "Sky News International" beamed on a diff frequency; and it will be less British oriented news and more European oriented news. There is no further information other than that in Europe you will no longer be watching the same programmes (and ads) as people in the UK (ie they are copying the route taken by CNN US and CNN International).

I don't know if this means that Sky will use different presenters and will cover entirely different stories all day, or will it be for some segment of the day or night? Will it be broadcast in that case from another studio?

Will they use the same reporters or are there plans to add another or other European correspondents? Bit tough for one correspondent to cover the whole of "Europe" if they are going to do it properly!

It would be great if someone from Sky would answer these questions. Anyhow the switchover seems to be why you are having tech problems. If I hear anything else, I'll post it. If anyone else knows what's up, pls post it too. thanks.

st1407

Post by st1407 » Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:18 pm

I hope that this will not happen!!!!!!

Please SKY News, don't make that mistake!!!! We have a lot of "European" news channels - CNN I, EuroNews, BBC World, ..........

I hope the people at SKY read this. I want to watch SKY News, as it is broadcasted for the UK. What's going on with all executives at these companies?????

If I want news from my country or other European countries then I can watch n-tv or N24 ( both German news channels) or EuroNews. I watch SKY because they also bring news from the UK and I am interested in such news!!!!

maxi

Post by maxi » Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:45 pm

I have to agree with you guys, this is a worrying development. I watch Sky News because it is Sky News, because their live coverage of world events as they happen and presented in a way that no other news channel seems able to do. I am English and for me it is like keeping in touch with home. If European News Channels were better at presenting world news I would already be watching them, but there not.

Could it be that somewhere within the Satallite Networks Sky News may transmit on more than one frequency giving us both options (even on a second satellite position) afterall the UK Satellite "footprint" is almost the same as our own and surely we must be able to receive it.

As for your comments, "Does anybody from Sky News read these pages" THEY SHOULD, but then as we may not be paying high prices for additional programmes they may not want to listen to us.

If anybody knows anything, keep us posted.

eagleeye

Post by eagleeye » Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:06 pm

I emailed mailto:news@sky.com">news@sky.com to ask what was going on, and as per the latest (irritating) Sky practice, got an automated response from mailto:webmaster@bskyb.com">webmaster@bskyb.com or some such - which you can't reply to as it won't accept emails - inviting me to join that ******* opinion forum!!

I think but am not sure, that if you buy Brit equipment (decoder) and a suitable dish and point it at 28 degrees east (the one that has been working up until now ) you should still be able to get Brit Sky as well as all the other free to air news channels; but if you are getting Sky News on Astra or other Euro networks, it's changed to Sky News Intl. Of course I may be wrong!!

Someone in the TV tech field may know if Sky can block the UK Sky transmission to Europe even if there's a digibox and the dish is correctly positioned??

They must be doing this as an experiment as much of their news is very British based. I don't mind if they still cover the main UK stories, really jack up their international coverage and keep the same personnel. I'm just concerned that it's an experiment and if they don't like the public response, they may pull Sky altogether from the EU (is that technically possible?). What's the situation in South Africa where Sky is very popular - has it gone to Sky News Intl and how's it different in content from "old" Sky News (other than breaks in transmission as some forum members have posted from Slovenia and Germany!)

Like the emails bouncing back from the "Webmaster" I don't like it that they spring their new ideas on their viewers and subscribers without prior warning...I hope they are reading this and that someone will clarify the situation ASAP.

Tanya

Post by Tanya » Thu Mar 11, 2004 6:23 am

As Eagleeye was saying, I also got an automated response from Webmaster, when I emailed mailto:news@sky.com">news@sky.com a few days ago, when the sport presenter was giving wrong information all afternoon on Slovenian female runner who won a second place in Budapest, reporting that she is from Slovakia. I know that we are a very small country, but still... I wasn't sure after that automatic response if they have received my e-mail or not ?

Tanya

ST34

Post by ST34 » Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:53 am

I received an automated response to a mail I sent one time, followed a little while later by a personal reply, so it would seem that all the mails are seen.