No Sky News...

Discussions on news and breaking news events including, BBC News, ITV News, Sky News
maxi

Post by maxi » Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:11 pm

Now I notice that today we have a new thread under the heading "Sky News Sound" reffering to the same problems above.

But let us come back to the point made above by Eagleeye. I have been told that Sky News at Astra 19.2 degrees is "Digital" and the Sky News at the 28 degree dish position is the old analog transmission. Perhaps there is some truth in what Eagleeye has said.

Does anybody have a second dish at 28 degrees and what is your experience with Sky News?

maxi

Post by maxi » Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:49 pm

I have 3 digital satellite receivers working off of one 90 cm dish on Astra at 19.2 degrees. Tonight I have noticed that 2 are showing the title "Sky News International" and the third, the latest instalation, is showing the title "Sky News". I do not recall having lost picture or sound on the third receiver. Now I need to try to understand how the third receiver is tuned.

eagleeye

Post by eagleeye » Sat Mar 13, 2004 12:41 pm

Astra's Sky is definitely digital but unless you understand German, it isn't worth having as most channels are in German. I don't know whether the 28.5degs east signal - which traditionally has worked fine for expats to pick up all UK FTA channels - is digital or analogue. Next time I pass the shop, I will ask the local fleece merchant (600 euros for installation and a dish; never mind the decodeur!) as he will know if it's analogue or not. I take it the spring/summer Dordogne invasion hasn't started yet as that lot will know whether their signal is digital or not, even if they only watch the Beeb. If I find out anything, I'll post it. (pls can anyone else do likewise?!)

I did hear that in South Africa, it still says "Sky News" and appears to be the same as before. I think someone at Sky should give us a brief explanation as all of us abroad know how expensive it is to install (that's why I don't have it for the moment!)

maxi

Post by maxi » Sun Mar 14, 2004 9:12 am

Astra Sky News do not transmit in German language. I am also told the Sky News available at 28.5 degrees is in fact analog, not digital and broadcasting as "Sky News".

eagleeye

Post by eagleeye » Sun Mar 14, 2004 1:44 pm

No, sorry, I didn't mean that Sky was in German! I meant that most of the channels transmitted on the Astra satellite that carries Sky are German channels... that is why I was hoping that Canal + in France carried Sky (I think they may have BBC World?) as at least they have some movies in English and are a lot cheaper to install than the Brit 28.5 degrees dish.