Anorman/woman

Discussions on news and breaking news events including, BBC News, ITV News, Sky News
Newsroom

Post by Newsroom » Sat Nov 06, 2004 7:53 pm

Why do you hate Steve?

I really dislike Kay.

Hullo

Post by Hullo » Sat Nov 06, 2004 8:08 pm

I thought I got all this out of my system during the Big Brother voting a few weeks ago... I think Emma is embarrassingly awful (how many times an hour does she say "I should say" after a fluff?) and Kay is smarmy, pompous and too full of herself. The sooner Sky gets rid of both the better. Otherwise, Julie is certainly the best of the women, although all the others have something engaging about them. There's a feeling of complicity with Viv, of familiarity with Lorna and of chumminness with Anna. Sheila is also very pro. Anjali is starting to look at home in two-person presenting (but Juliet Errington is out of her depth - go back to off-beat reporting - and Juliette Foster is great from the City but not as assured when dealing with political and world affairs stuff).

Among the men, I don't have any pet hates - I don't enjoy watching Allan, Steve and Chris quite as much as some of the others, but they are not in negative territory. Martin annoys me sometimes because his slot is too full of formulas (it's 10.23 so it's time to do a 3-shot with the sports presenter...). I like Greg - good voice, sounds authoritative. And spare a thought for Mark - nobody ever seems to praise him in this forum. Poor bloke has to share his slot with Kay, which can't be easy, and he turns in a confident, reliable performance time and again. Seems like Mr Nice Guy. But the champion? There's only one Jeremy Thompson (as Emma would probably read "there's only one: Jeremy Thompson"). Mr Pro. Brilliant. When he's on, however mad the news is, the world's a saner place.

In other departments, star turns for me include David Chater, of course, Rachel Ammatt (who will be sorely missed), amazingly good at synthesizing complex stuff fast, Martin Brunt and Adam Boulton (in spite of his dodgy taste in ties). Best studio sports person is easily Jacqui Beltrao and best weather person is Lisa Burke (I used to like Nikki Fox - I think that was her surname - who left to have a baby a year or so ago. Hope she comes back.) A word of praise, finally, for Francis Tusa, who is another person with the gift of making complex material clear.

Hullo

Post by Hullo » Sat Nov 06, 2004 8:20 pm

Oops, I missed somebody out of my pantheon: the one, the only, Keith Graves. Someone whose opinion I ALWAYS want to hear, whether I agree with it (USA) or sometimes take issue with it (Middle East). Does anyone know what he gets up to in between his stints on Sky?

Mr Byrne

Post by Mr Byrne » Sat Nov 06, 2004 8:27 pm

I think Juliette Foster can deal with foreign affairs.

I think Alan King is very clear and is a good interviewer.

I have to agree with you about Jeremy Thompson. But him down instead of Chriss Roberts on my list.

But I'll stick with Anjali, she has a sexy voice and doesn't make mistakes.

I agree with you sabout Emma, but I do like her.

HBox

Post by HBox » Sat Nov 06, 2004 10:01 pm

I think Jeremy Thompson is good. Mark Longhurst and Chris Roberts are also good. I dislike Martin Stanford, though I did like him in Technofile.

The following female presenters are my favourite; Julie Etchingham, Juliette Foster, Lorna Dunkly, AnJali Rao, Lisa Aziz and Viv Creeger. (Not many then)

Best sport: Jacqui Beltrao, or Kirsty Gallacher when she was a sport presenter. I also like Alec Wilkinson.

Newsrat

Post by Newsrat » Sat Nov 06, 2004 10:02 pm

Mmmmm

Simon McCoy B)

HBox

Post by HBox » Sun Nov 07, 2004 6:37 am

Simon McCoy? But he's history. Do you like him? He was good on Sunrise when he presented it with Kay, and even Julie.

Mr Byrne

Post by Mr Byrne » Sun Nov 07, 2004 3:06 pm

I liked Simon McCoy too, whatever hapened to him.

HBox

Post by HBox » Sun Nov 07, 2004 6:00 pm

Someone has edited my earlier post, how odd. :angry:

Newsrat

Post by Newsrat » Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:16 pm

Mr Byrne+Nov 7 2004, 11:33 AM(Mr Byrne @ Nov 7 2004, 11:33 AM)

I liked Simon McCoy too, whatever hapened to him.

Sadly he absconded to BBC much to the dismay of Skynews viewers worldwide. How we miss the debates we used to have at Simon's expense in this forum B)