Presenters sexuailty

Discussions on news and breaking news events including, BBC News, ITV News, Sky News
Steven

Post by Steven » Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:10 am

Well, well, well I think that eagleeye has found a beautiful way to bring this topic to a close. Funnily enough I don't believe anybody has made a convincing arguement that it is acceptable for us to discuss the sexuality of presenters.

My last word on this matter is that I think we should agree to disagree, and all go our seperate ways - Mr Byrne and AnjaliWOW I'm sure you'll be very happy together

Mr Byrne

Post by Mr Byrne » Fri Nov 26, 2004 11:11 am

The pale was a term used years ago for the area of Dublin and its environs, and was a joke....also Trinity is a university and no, I don't study there

used years ago? a lotm more than years ago.

Mr Byrne and AnjaliWOW I'm sure you'll be very happy together

Very Mature. I think we'll have to agree to dissagree on many counts here.

What exactly did you want people to say steve - I'm still unsure.

geordieboi

Post by geordieboi » Fri Nov 26, 2004 1:41 pm

hi folks, just thought i'd add my thoughts to this topic. and before i begin, i realise i'm probably going to come in for a lot of stick for posting my thoughts, so please note they're MY thoughts, before anyone has a go at me!

basically, i think it's fair to say that anyone who is in the public eye is going to be open to all kinds of discussion - from whether they're married, single, have kids, or whether they're gay, bi, whatever - down to whether they're good at their job. everyone will always have different opinions on what's right, what's wrong, what's good, what's not good, who's good at something, who's bad at something, and perhaps most importantly whether it should be discussed or not.

on a totally personal note, while i enjoy reading all of the serious topics on this forum and all of the great content this site has (well done johnnie & co btw..) i have no problem with reading the "less serious" and "non-news related" (for want of a better phrase) threads such as this one. we're in the 21st century now, and it's a fact of life that people will talk about eachother, speculate, make comments, and we're also in an era where people tend to be a lot more comfortable talking about sexuality. while i can understand some people with possible homophobic views and thoughts taking offence to threads such as this being created (and no, that is NOT directed at ANYONE here), it's also noticeable throughout the forum, such as the thread about the "stronger" presenters being the males, always sitting to the right of the female presenter and so on. i personally think there is one word which has caused this topic to "flourish" into the discussion it has - and that word is "sexuality". it comes down to the simple fact that people have split opinions : some have no problem with it being discussed, others do. there will always be conflict (again for want of a better word) when it comes to this issue.

i seem to recall a voting poll not long ago. polls about "sexiest newsreader" seem to be acceptable, but when it comes to a male forum member expressing his own view that he finds another male "gorgeous", then it isn't ok ?

20 or 30 years ago, if a straight man was told "you're attractive to gay men" he would likely have hit the roof.. and the person that told him! nowadays, believe it or not, attitudes on this HAVE changed. i am gay myself, i don't go around making it plainly obvious to everyone, but i am gay. i know it, i've tried to deny it, but now i've accepted it, and so have my family and majority of friends. i didn't just wake up one morning and decide to flick the gay switch, it's just the way i was born, the way i've turned out. i know a huge amount of straight people who regularly go to gay-friendly pubs and clubs, simply because they enjoy the attention and the change of scene (pardon the pun). most people are a lot more open to this kind of discussion nowadays.

in summary, i think it's a fine line. i think any male who wishes to say he finds steve dixon (or any other male) attractive - is very welcome to do so, in exactly the same way that a male is entitled to open a poll to ask who the sexiest newsreaders are. when it comes to discussing sexuality, i don't have a problem whatsoever.

but where i WOULD draw the line is for people to post messages such as "i KNOW Mr A or Mr B is gay, because last weekend... blah blah". that hasn't happened here yet, and to be honest and fair to all of the other members, i don't think that anyone would go as far as to do so - because whatever colour, sex, race, or sexuality - we all share one thing in common - an appreciation and enjoyment of sky news.

the kind of public "outing" of an individual is dangerous, can force people out of the closet who do not want to go public or are not mentally ready to do so, and can cause a lot of distress. trust me, i am speaking from experience...

DVEous

Post by DVEous » Fri Nov 26, 2004 1:49 pm

I know its paranoid but until I actually came across journalists who were "out" you do become cynical and irrationally worried that it could stop you in your career

Trust me there are plenty of journalists that are out, it's just that in the normal course of your job it's not usual to say to people "by the way I'm gay". There are people at sky that are gay and out and nobody here bats an eyelid.

If you were to come out to your friends and family would that also mean you took out a newspaper ad or airtime to tell the whole world? Anyone at sky that is out is not hiding it from the public, it's simply not part of their job to let people, who are (mostly) watching for the news, know their sexuality because really, it's none of their damn business.

hamishnewhouse

Post by hamishnewhouse » Fri Nov 26, 2004 2:03 pm

Well I don't really care about presenters' sexuality.

However I like to think of Emma Crosby and Lisa Burk together

dodrade

Post by dodrade » Fri Nov 26, 2004 2:53 pm

Im very surprised how worked up everybody has got over this issue. Im sure the world is not full of hompphobes who will stop watching sky news if they knew a certain newsreader was gay. I would merely like to know out of idle curiosity, not that anybody should be forced out of the closet of they dont want to be. although an argument could be made that journalism is one of the few areas in which there arent really any openly gay role models and it would be a good thing if someone came out in this field. yes i totally agree that it has nothing to do with their job, its the same news who ever reads it, but that doesnt stop us discussing other sorts of trivia about presenters, their sexuality is just another area. but if its not right to discuss their sexuality and we must concentrate solely on the news then we couldnt talk about anything else, in particular banging on about how attractive certain presenters are. without that then the forum would have to close down!

miss hellfire

Post by miss hellfire » Fri Nov 26, 2004 4:28 pm

Do i think we should be discussing presenters sexuality?

No! I don't think we should, however, it is human nature to gossip about this sort of irrelevant drivel.

If people want to discuss this sort of thing then just let them get on with it.

If i don't like it, i don't have to join in, so i won't.

Anyway isn't it down to Johnnie to decide what can and cannot be discussed on these forums.

Over to you Johnnie

Mr Byrne

Post by Mr Byrne » Fri Nov 26, 2004 6:37 pm

Touched a nerve there. Well, I don't mind you discussing a presenters sexuality - I think it is sssssssaaaaaadd - because they're newsreaders. But I don't mind, I'm probabley the only one thats found this topic very amussing!!!

20 or 30 years ago, if a straight man was told "you're attractive to gay men" he would likely have hit the roof.. and the person that told him!

I think what you just discribed is still around today. I wouldn't take too kind to anyone that called me a gay. Although it is socially accpeptable in most of the developed world, striaght men in general do not like to be branded as a gay, because the word spreads, it appears that even some gay men don't like their secret to get out.

i am gay myself, i don't go around making it plainly obvious

- Well done. I have no problem with you whatsoever, be normal and do what you do in the privacy of your home, fine, I only have a problem with the stereotypical gay people that like to wear womens clothing and lip-stick and put on a lisp etc. etc.

it's just the way i was born

- We all have the right to our own opinions in here. I don't mean any offence when I speak my mind and say that, I think homosexuality is a disease.

while i can understand some people with possible homophobic views

I think I need to put that straight here (pardon the pun) but I do not believe that there are many homophobic people out there. That means being affraid of gay people, right? Well I would perfer to give you a better world for people like myself - how about Homosceptic - Meaning, I have no problem with gay people whatsoever but I dissagree with the act (I don't want to elaborate on the word act). - Is that acceptable? Because I don't mind gay people in general, I'm certainly not affraid of them.

No! I don't think we should, however, it is human nature to gossip about this sort of irrelevant drivel.

- Well, yes, why newsreaders? exaclty but, I don't mind if people do it.

Tanya

Post by Tanya » Fri Nov 26, 2004 10:04 pm

Mr Byrne+Nov 26 2004, 04:41 PM(Mr Byrne @ Nov 26 2004, 04:41 PM)

I think I need to put that straight here (pardon the pun) but I do not believe that there are many homophobic people out there. That means being affraid of gay people, right?

Homophobic is an established term for "prejudiced against homosexuals", and according to all your comments so far (still existed and deleted ones), I'm not afraid to say that you are a homophobic from head to toes.

And honestly, your last comment that "homosexuality is a disease" makes me sick! A disease is an unhealty condition,...now explain it how is homosexuality unhealty?

Mr.Bryne with your views and comments about sexuality, you are literally stuck somewhere in 19th century.

_______

Tanya

Newsroom

Post by Newsroom » Fri Nov 26, 2004 11:28 pm

Actually I find that comment really interesting about if homosexuality is a disease or not...recent studies have proved it is not....not being too biological :rolleyes: ....but no X linked or recessive genes have been found for homosexuality and so, it is not a disease.

We were covering this topic in lectures the other day.

O and Mr Byrne is just a prat!