SNI New Logo

Discussions on news and breaking news events including, BBC News, ITV News, Sky News
daibhidh

Post by daibhidh » Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:28 am

One point...why should there be anyone Irish in Big Brother, or the X-Factor...or Pop Idol etc? These are all UK shows, not Irish shows, and a point made by Mr Bryne on another topic is that Ireland isn't part of the UK...so why expect to get airtime on UK shows?!

On X-factor Louis Walsh's comment that Tabby was good because he was Irish was not only an insult to Tabby's 'talent' but totally irrelevent and probably led to Tabby being kicked off cause UK viewers stopped voting for him...why don't you do your own Xfactor...I know you do one to select the Eurovision song, but why can't you do pop idol ireland or Big Bro IRL instead of flooding the UK ones?!

Just a devil's advocate point there...

Newsroom

Post by Newsroom » Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:33 pm

because the Irish make up an extremely high % of people who watch shows like bigBrother, I'm a celeb...get me out of here!, Xfactor, etc....we have our own lines to vote for people(even though the lines charge much more, we still vote) and give ITV/C4/GRANADA etc, ??????????

Mr Byrne

Post by Mr Byrne » Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:38 pm

Now, I know everyone is going to say 'just don't watch it so' well, I don't watch it but that don't stop me unwantingly hearing about it from everywhere else or seeing it in the papers, it's certainly a sad sad world full of sad sad people!

Read The Irish Times. I think its the only paper thats NOT printed for retards or Cork People.

On X-factor Louis Walsh's comment that Tabby was good because he was Irish was not only an insult to Tabby's 'talent' but totally irrelevent and probably led to Tabby being kicked off cause UK viewers stopped voting for him...why don't you do your own Xfactor...I know you do one to select the Eurovision song, but why can't you do pop idol ireland or Big Bro IRL instead of flooding the UK ones?!

Well we did try to make Irish versions of Who wants to be a millionaire and the weakest link but they failed. I don't think carbon copies of British shows get much ratings in this country. And British companies earn quite a lot of money out of us with these shows, because people like Newsroom watch them.

because the Irish make up an extremely high % of people who watch shows like bigBrother

Yes, right, sure we do. If you count the whole of London and Liverpool as being Irish, then I'm sure we do

daibhidh

Post by daibhidh » Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:28 pm

Newsroom, I think that's not a particularly strong argument...Mr Bryne is right, the VAST majority of people who watch UK shows, funnily enough, are UK residents, paying UK tax and TV licences, therefore have a 'right' to appear on such shows...Just because you are able to view UK shows in the RoI doesn't mean you should have a right to take part in them or appear in all of them...!! That's why you have RTE, TV3 etc...to provide you with your OWN national TV service...make your own progs!!

You're right though, you have your own phone lines so Granada etc can milk you for all you've got, but it still doesn't explain why so many Irish people appear on our shows in the first place...!!

Maybe if you guys started paying ?110 TV licence to the UK government like the rest of us, ontop of any Sky fees, then you could start to take part fairly!

AnjaliWOW

Post by AnjaliWOW » Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:17 pm

daibhidh+Jan 13 2005, 05:38 PM(daibhidh @ Jan 13 2005, 05:38 PM)

Maybe if you guys started paying ?110 TV licence to the UK government like the rest of us, ontop of any Sky fees, then you could start to take part fairly!

We pay 155euro a year tv licence to RTE every year.

I pay 62euro a month to Sky, 77euro if you include the extra box so I think I have every right to watch stations that are uk based.

As far as taking part fairly, the fact that they are allowed to take part obviously makes it fair! Also a large population of Irish people reside in the uk and so they are paying tax and licence fees to the uk government.

tippguy

Post by tippguy » Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:12 am

and the tv channels like tv3 pay granada to have i'm a celeb & corrie, etc. so why should we pay bbc money aswell! i think ?62 per month for sky & ?155 for tv licence is enough.

daibhidh

Post by daibhidh » Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:45 am

the fact that u pay money to RTE is neither here nor there...it doesn't pay for the BBC unless I'm mistaken...we pay the BBC licence fee so they can make BBC progs for the UK...you then watch these progs...we also pay sky fees...

Anyhow...moving away from SNI aren't we...shall we get back to it?!

Mr Byrne

Post by Mr Byrne » Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:56 pm

No we shouldn't. I'd like to point out a few things you said, which I found hypocritical and plain stupid. (are you a rangers fan?)

I don't watch any of this reality TV or game show crap that Newsroom is in to. (But someone as equally important as I, such as Newsroom is entitled to watch, I'm not saying anything bad about him, I just don't liek those shows.) However, we do have our own shows. RT? have made reality TV shows such as Celebrity Farm that kind of stuff. I remember, didn't they have a reality show about a ship, where ordinary people sailed some old time ship and it ran aground

But the point being, I don't watch any of your Reality TV/Game shows so I couldn't give a **** wether Irish people are on them or not. The only shows I watch that are/were made in England are a select few, most of which had Irish Procuders/writers or actors. And I'd be willing to bet that you have watched Irish made programmes in your lifetime. Programmes such as Father Ted? Ballykissangel? And probabley a hell of a lot of Irish films, or films produced by Irish people.

If you had RT? in the UK, I think you'd watch it as well! - Take The Sopranoes for example - RT? are the first in Europe to get that - they get it months before E4 do. RT?, I think I read somewhere used to get Friends before Channel 4 did. TV3 , as far as I'm aware get the shield before Channel 5. I'm sure there are more examples and if you had RT? and TV3 in the UK like you have your other channels and if you were informed of their schedules as much as we're informed of BBC etc.'s schedules, then I'd think you would watch them.

As for myself, I don't really watch too many UK channels to be honest. I'm not going to include Sky as a UK channel, because they clearly are broadcasting for an Irish audience as well and we have to pay for them, as much as you have to pay for them. And the advertisements on the Sky Network over here are Irish (so they can get more money out of us, therefore I conclude, Sky over here is Irish).

tippguy

Post by tippguy » Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:48 am

and do ye pay money to the usa for ally mcbeal, oprah, dr. phil etc. or to austrailla for home and away or neighbours. It doesnt matter if you dont watch em do you??

Newsroom

Post by Newsroom » Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:54 am

Just like to ask do UK viewers get SkyNews along with their cable(BBC,ITV,C4,C5) package or must you have sky digital?

Because in Ireland, those who have cable automatically have SkyNews. With cable, you don't get, for example, Sky Sports or Sky Movies.