Sky News Scotland

Discussions on news and breaking news events including, BBC News, ITV News, Sky News
daved2424

Post by daved2424 » Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:13 pm

Well I think it would difficult for anyone to say my arguments are flawed on cost grounds. I've done the sums for you. But anayway, I think it's time we put this subjecct matter to bed.

daibhidh

Post by daibhidh » Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:29 pm

indeed..hence why that last post was tounge-in-cheek...

Mr Byrne

Post by Mr Byrne » Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:25 pm

It's interesting to see people trying to work out how to pronounce my name. It's a made up name. Dave with a D on the end, and pronounced like David.

While we're on about pronouncing names, my name's pronounced Burn and not By-earn. Yes, it is an Irish name. but it is all your fault (the english) for anglicising Irish names. My name in Gaelic is "O'Brinn" - how ever you got "Byrne" out of that, I'll never know.

yes, a clown you are! and one with flawed arguements at that

I think you're the clown actually. It does take one to know one, so there we go, I've been called a clown on these forums before but I don't care because I've been called a lot worse.

I don't think a Sky News Scotland is neither economical nor necessary to be honest. However, maybe its not agood idea to compare it to SNI, because they would essentially be different plans. I think that SNI will ultimately be aiming for as much continuous Irish news as possible, where as Scotland is part of the UK. tony Blair is your Prime Minister. You elect MP's at Westminster. Your soldiers are in Iraq. Your currency etc. is the same as Britains. if you have shares, your likely to be watching the London Stock exchange. - Where as SNI is different. Bertie is our Leader, we elect TD's to the D?il, our soldiers are in Liberia, Our currency is the same as Germanys (not Britans), I'm watching the ISEQ Index, not the FTSE.

So, lets not compare SNI to a proposed SNS. SN UK can be far more related to by Scottish viewers.

Mr Byrne

Post by Mr Byrne » Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:45 pm

The setting up of Sky News Scotland is a nice idea, but the question here is it feasable?

Yes [ 4 ] [40.00%]

No [ 6 ] [60.00%]

Total Votes: 10

HBox

Post by HBox » Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:47 pm

If Sky News set up a Scottish broadcast then they will have to do a Welsh one and various English ones, which at the moment isn't viable or necessary.

This country isn't really that big unlike in America where they successfully have numerous regional versions of the same news networks.

In this country if Sky were to do regional broadcasts they would probably end up screenig trivial stories because anything major would go to national broadcast. It would fragment the channel too much.

In theory it is a nice idea, (I did create a forum about this some time back and the general consensus was that it is not needed) but in reality (at the moment) it is not practical.

AJ

Post by AJ » Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:02 pm

It would be very expensive to set up the infrastructure for regional Sky News services. (And I say services because much of the same could be said for a Sky News Wales service - although a different political make up.) Then you'd also have the english grumbling over their "regions" - they've got it, why can't we have it scenario.

As was said earlier - you'd have studio costs, directors, producers, gfx, presenters, vt editors, journalists, technical folk, lighting, etc etc - a lot of people go into making a programme - and the cost wouldn't be justified in terms of viewership.

The reason Sky News Ireland is there is because of Sky Digital as a company. Sky are still trying to get into the irish market and win over customers as far as I know - Sky News Ireland is more of a token programme more than anything, and I doubt much attention is really paid to it within Sky (News) as a company.

In terms of ITV's regionality - well, ITV are making massive cuts as has been said earlier. They've obtained permission to wind down regional programming output, and it's inevitable that regional news will follow before long.

BBC is a completely different ball game altogether. I know I'm repeating points, but it is a public broadcast service and so has a remit to provide news and information to the nations and regions.

I think there are more similarities between Sky and ITV to be honest. ITV have realised that regional news just doesn't pull in as much money as national programmes. So therefore it is business sense for them to wind down regional operations as it is now a national company. Much the same could be said for Sky - which has lower viewers than ITV - there just wouldn't be enough for Sky to get out of such a setup.

If you had a company, you'd look out for your profits than the interests of viewers, wouldn't you?

Mr Byrne

Post by Mr Byrne » Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:15 pm

The reason Sky News Ireland is there is because of Sky Digital as a company. Sky are still trying to get into the irish market and win over customers as far as I know - Sky News Ireland is more of a token programme more than anything, and I doubt much attention is really paid to it within Sky (News) as a company.

Makes a lot of sense.

AnjaliWOW

Post by AnjaliWOW » Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:44 am

Mr Byrne+Jan 14 2005, 05:43 PM(Mr Byrne @ Jan 14 2005, 05:43 PM)

yes, a clown you are! and one with flawed arguements at that

I think you're the clown actually. It does take one to know one, so there we go, I've been called a clown on these forums before but I don't care because I've been called a lot worse.

He wasn't calling you a clown!!

Steven

Post by Steven » Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:55 pm

So here's an interesting article from Mediaguardian.co.uk -

ITV viewers in Scotland could get their own national news bulletin under proposals published yesterday.

The veteran newscaster Sir Trevor McDonald would no longer be the face of the 10.30pm news if a plan by Scottish Media Group, owner of the ITV franchises north of the border, is accepted by Ofcom, the media regulator.

ITN, the news service that produces ITV's national news, would produce the bulletin for the Scottish TV and Grampian TV franchises in Scotland.

The proposal has been submitted as Ofcom consults for its review of public service broadcasting. The review, to be published next month, will deal mainly with Channel 4, the BBC and ITV in England, but will also make detailed proposals on the future of ITV franchises in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland before a final decision this year.

Other proposals in SMG's blueprint for Scottish broadcasting include dedicated local bulletins for Aberdeen, Dundee, Glasgow and Edinburgh. The weekday local news slot between 6pm and 6.30pm, Scotland Today, would include items for specific areas in Scotland. For instance, the Glasgow studio would broadcast segments relevant to west central Scotland and the Aberdeen newsroom would cover the population north of Perth.

The proposals are expected to widen the debate on the funding of public service broadcasting after SMG requested indirect public funding for its plans.

Bobby Hain, managing director of Scottish TV, said the proposals could not be implemented without funding help. He said they would need reduced licence fee payments to the Treasury, a change in SMG's contribution to network programming costs and a contribution from the new public television service proposed by Ofcom.

If Ofcom did not permit indirect funding, then regional programming and news bulletins could disappear from ITV in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, Mr Hain said.

"Ofcom wants specific proposals for the nations. If it does not make additional funding available for licensees in Scotland, Ulster and Wales, I cannot see how Ofcom can require us to make more programming than our English regional counterparts."

Seven years ago the BBC was criticised when its board of governors blocked plans for a Scottish Six O'Clock News. SMG's version would have a new anchor and would include items from reporters in Scotland, edited by ITN in London.

Mr Hain said Scottish viewers wanted a less Anglo-centric emphasis on news. Coverage of a proposed public smoking ban in Scotland, for instance, did not lead national bulletins when it was announced in November. A more limited proposal for England a week later received more airtime.

"We want our news bulletin to reflect and somehow take account of the differences. We want to put a Scottish nose on the story," he said.

Mr Hain said the ITV network's national news remit - to deliver a bulletin live and simultaneously from a central news provider (ITN) - was outdated.

"We are addressing the frustrations that viewers tell us about; that when they hear about stories in England and Wales, they want them in a way that is more relevant for them," he said.

Scottish TV and Grampian TV spend about ?20m a year on the public service programming requirements in their broadcasting licences, on top of an annual payment of ?8m to the Treasury.

ITV plc, owner of the licences in Wales and England, is also seeking reductions to its regional programming commitments and licence payments of ?200m a year. Ofcom has proposed cutting ITV's non-news programming in England by 50% to 1.5 hours a week. SMG is proposing a more modest reduction, from a combined 5.5 hours of non-news programmes a week to four hours.

"If the regulator acknowledges that the cost of public service broadcasting in Scotland is more than an equivalent-sized English region, why should we pay that? Why should we be disadvantaged because we happen to be in Scotland?" said Mr Hain.

daved2424

Post by daved2424 » Sat Jan 29, 2005 4:44 pm

There are also all-night services planned for ITV London News. This from Broadcast, 24 January 2005:

ITV viewers in London are to be given the chance to watch its flagship regional news programme, London Tonight, round the clock on a new on-demand channel, writes Maria Esposito.

The broadcaster is planning to pilot a local on-demand news and information channel with broadband entertainment provider Video Networks. It will be branded London Tonight and provide 24-hour news content from ITN, weather updates, a searchable TV news archive and entertainment listings for the capital. Video Networks will add the channel to its HomeChoice platform, which offers more than 80 digital and on-demand channels to 1.3 million homes in London via a broadband connection. "This service will mean that for the first time one of ITV1's regional news programmes will have its own 24-hour platform," said ITV news chief executive Clive Jones. "Broadband delivery makes really local news possible for the first time." HomeChoice is also expected to add the country's first video-on-demand advertising channel, The Ad Chart, to its line-up, following a successful pilot using ads from Lowe & Partners, whose commercials include Pepperami's Wimp! and Diet Coke's Flirting.