Sky moves away from rolling news

Discussions on news and breaking news events including, BBC News, ITV News, Sky News
dirkyt

Post by dirkyt » Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:59 pm

Yeah - SKY must be aware of FOX's lack of impartiality.

As for who is going to be fronting any new programmes - we'll have to wait and see. However, I very much doubt they'll get Angela Rippon (or if I had a choice Anne MacKenzie) Quite frankly - they don't need MORE presenters.

The main point I would like to make is that there are presenters who should become the faces of SKY News and not just spare parts (Juliette, Lisa, Viv and Paula!!)

While I can't wait to see a revamped schedule - I'm not running to my toilet all the time - with the excitement!!

SimUK

Post by SimUK » Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:03 am

Erm, but haven't they tried this before...

* Littlejohn - some people loved it, some hated it. The program ended (as Littlejohn left)

* 3D - the show with the three women presenting their individual segments and then a general chat at the end. That seemed to die a death suddenly didn't it? I also hardly ever watched it because I wanted breaking news.

* Year in Review - an excellent set of programs (taped 2003's, missed most of 2004's as they were taken off air long before I was expecting due to the Tsunami news). But another example of where people have complained (on here and other forums) that they'd rather see news than a recorded program.

I want to see Live stuff, and I'd prefer breaking news than some stale "recorded last week" interview. If Sky has some news that is breaking, they need to break to that. You've only got to look at the 30 minutes when they have CBS Evening News on, to see how if a breaking story comes in they usually have to grit their teeth and wait until the next hour to properly break it and don't break in to the program.

What it really needs is Sky News 2. Or Sky News Active rolled out to Freeview. Give people the choice of what they want to watch. Sky News surely wouldn't be News Channel of the Year for the 4th year in a row if they were doing it wrong with all the Breaking News would they?

tippguy

Post by tippguy » Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:43 pm

i hope that these shows are live that way if a news story breaks as mr.purnell said they will be breaking into the programmes the presenter of the show will be able to say that they are going over to the newsroom rather than just cutting the programme short.

HBox

Post by HBox » Sun Mar 06, 2005 7:07 pm

It's already been stated that they will break into any programme if a breaking news story unveils. You also asume that all the new programmes will be pre-recorded, I'm sure not all of them will be.