New Studio

Discussions on news and breaking news events including, BBC News, ITV News, Sky News
geordieboi

Post by geordieboi » Thu May 12, 2005 2:21 pm

as daved2424 says, the new place is BIG with a capital B, and it is going to look fantastic. and remember, june/july now only a matter of weeks away

gillw

Post by gillw » Thu May 12, 2005 4:36 pm

I think I already know the answer to this, but here goes anyway! Is it possible to get a tour around the Sky News Centre? :rolleyes:

daved2424

Post by daved2424 » Thu May 12, 2005 4:51 pm

I very much doubt it. Not unless you know somebody who works there. Also, bear in mind that there are two Sky News Centres at the moment.

gillw

Post by gillw » Thu May 12, 2005 6:28 pm

I doubt I would get anywhere near the new building even if they did do tours, and I don't know anyone who works for Sky so I guess I'm buggered then!

Johnnie
Site Admin

Post by Johnnie » Thu May 12, 2005 6:29 pm

Media Guardian+(Media Guardian)

Three of Sky News' best-known presenters - Kay Burley, Jeremy Thompson and Julie Etchingham - are to get their own shows when the network relaunches later this year.

The news broadcaster is planning to introduce more standalone programmes into its rolling news schedule as part of the relaunch, in an attempt to boost ratings.

Burley - who earlier this week presented Sky One documentary Sex, Lies and Politics, looking at four decades of political sex scandals - will host a news analysis programme on Sky News between midday and 2pm.

Thompson has landed a 90-minute slot from 5pm, in which he will present a roundup of the day's events, and Etchingham is to anchor a more in-depth daily look at news and current affairs between 7pm and 8pm.

The onscreen relaunch of Sky News programming will coincide with a move to a new studio complex at parent company BSkyB's HQ in Osterley, west London, and the recruitment of 30 extra staff.

The head of Sky News, Nick Pollard, described the changes as the "biggest step forward in Sky News' development since our launch 16 years ago".

"Twenty-four hour news provision has become increasingly competitive and the expansion will ensure that Sky News continues to lead the way in breaking news," he said.

Sky News is looking to recruit extra executive producers, producers, camera operators and editors as it staffs up for the relaunch.

Around 300 of the network's 502 worldwide staff will be moving to its new HQ, which already houses Five News, which Sky News began producing in January.

Mr Pollard has been briefing staff today about the planned changes.

Skybaby

Post by Skybaby » Thu May 12, 2005 7:02 pm

I wonder if the relaunch will be tied into one of the BBC strikes for maximum effect?

Interested to see the "big three" are getting their own 'shows'. Would like to know where that leaves their 'other halves', since I think that Mark & Kay, JT & Anna and Julie & Martin are the strongest partnerships at the moment...but I can wait. ^_^ I'm looking forward to the relaunch/revamp/new studio and seeing if the rumours of two tiers, giant newswalls and laser shows are correct.

philg

Post by philg » Fri May 13, 2005 10:17 am

12 till 2 seems to be a strange time to host a 'news analysis show'. Surely that is the time that there is the most breaking news? That is why the Sky News Today style format works so well as it gives more flexibility. Sounds good though, only a few weeks to go...

derek500

Post by derek500 » Fri May 13, 2005 10:50 am

philg+May 12 2005, 06:31 PM(philg @ May 12 2005, 06:31 PM)

12 till 2 seems to be a strange time to host a 'news analysis show'

It works for Jeremy Vine on Radio 2.

HBox

Post by HBox » Fri May 13, 2005 4:22 pm

I understand that Steve Dixon will anchor Sunrise from June, any ideas on his co-presenter. Will it continue to be Lorna?

philg

Post by philg » Fri May 13, 2005 6:28 pm

I understand that Steve Dixon will anchor Sunrise from June, any ideas on his co-presenter. Will it continue to be Lorna?

Not sure but I would imagine so, I think she has been excellent on Sunrise. On his website Steve says he anchors it permenantly from June, so perhaps the relaunch is definately June, not July. Would make sense for them to change the shifts at a relaunch.