New Studio

Discussions on news and breaking news events including, BBC News, ITV News, Sky News
philg

Post by philg » Tue May 31, 2005 8:50 pm

I would guess the schedule might look something like this:

6-9: Sunrise with Eammon and Lorna

9-12: Sky News Today style programme anchored from the various presentational positions around the newsroom with Martin Stanford and Sheila Jansen (she seems to deputise for Julie quite often)

12.-2 Kay Burley

2-5: Similar to the morning slot but with Mark Longhurst and Anna Botting

5-6.30: Jeremy Thompson

6.30-7: Sportsline Possibly coming from a soft set like it used to or something to make it clearly a different strand and not just a lenghtened bulletin like now. An example would be the new News 24 Sportsday programme.

7-8: Julie Etchingham

8-9:? I think they will put another show here and not revert to rolling news, as they said Eammon was only the first of some big name signings. Maybe a debate, or The Boulton Factor a few nights a week?

9-10: ? Ditto.

10-10.30: Sky News At Ten

10.30-11: Sportsline

11-11.30: Rolling News

11.30-12.00 Paper review (from a soft set)

The problem with this is, who would anchor the Sky News at Ten and 11 till midnight slots? It seems a waste for presenters to only do two hours. Or maybe they will do rolling news on the first half hour of prime time, and feature shows on the back. . .

PJMulholland

Post by PJMulholland » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:40 am

Hello folks! First post.

I have given up on the number of times I have heard Sky promise the earth on its channels and programmes and then deliver very little. Therefore I remain cautious when I hear all this talk of some amazing revamp in the works.

What they needed to do with the channel was move it out of Osterley ALL TOGETHER. I really don't see how something that aspires to be some sort of global font of knowledge can be based in shed/office on some industrial estate somewhere.

A purpose built central London HQ would do much for Sky's attempts to be considered part of the national fabric of the country.

It would also make for cool looking studios with central London backdrops out the rear windows.

NEWSBOY2

Post by NEWSBOY2 » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:41 am

Its at Osterly because its cheap. The price to build or rent in central London would cost a fortune, especially the size you would need for Sky, and considering that Sky News doesn't make a profit, it would be financially nuts.

PJMulholland

Post by PJMulholland » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:53 am

NEWSBOY2+Jun 2 2005, 12:38 AM(NEWSBOY2 @ Jun 2 2005, 12:38 AM)

Its at Osterly because its cheap. The price to build or rent in central London would cost a fortune, especially the size you would need for Sky, and considering that Sky News doesn't make a profit, it would be financially nuts.

If it was all down to price and profit it would have been closed long ago already.

Fox seems to be able to do it in NY so why not here?

cwd2161

Post by cwd2161 » Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:10 pm

I am not sure that Sky News need to be based in Central London to be considered at the forefront of Television News they have been based in Osterly since 1989 and they are know considered to be the market Leader and have won RTS News Channel of the Year for four years on the trot. Sky have there Millbank studios in central London. But Sky News do a great job and so long as they continue to do so I don't think people mind where they are based.

As for the new Studios and program content when the re launch happens all the information currently available seems to suggest that the change will be impressive. But lets wait and see it may not be to everyones liking but you can't please everyone and change can be a good thing.

NEWSBOY2

Post by NEWSBOY2 » Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:57 pm

Well that's what I was told about the price thing by someone at Sky. Fox News is Murdoch's favourite so gets given more cash. Sky News is a bit like Starbucks, only in the country to thwart its rivals despite not properly recouping its costs .

daved2424

Post by daved2424 » Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:55 pm

There really are some monkeys about aren't there? BBC News, perhaps the world leader in news gathering is based at White City which is also not in central London. If you saw the size of the Osterley campus you would know it would cost millions of pounds in rent the appropropriate facilty.

Also, the cost to staff travelling into the centre of town would be enormous. Many people at Sky already travel a long distance to work each day, sometimes 2 or more hours each way. Having to negotiate traffic into the city centre would be a nightmare and the congestion charging would make it very expensive, what's more the size of the car park required to house several thousand cars would make rent even more expensive and where is there a plot in central London that could supply that demand?

Public transport you say? No chance. It is incredibly expensive to travel by train and many people at Sky simply couldn't afford it. AND a lot of people work shifts at Sky, in the Studios, engineering, transmission, how do you get home at three O'clock in the morning after a twelve hour shift with no public transport running and there was no where for you to park at 3 O'clock in the afternoon? It's bad enough for anyone who has to travel any distance to get to Millbank, let alone the entire company.

The reason FOX can do it is because they have lots and lots and lots of money. It's in the middle of a very densly packed city, much more vertical than London and public transport is much better. Also, it's only Fox News. Sky have Sky Sport too. Splitting the operation would be very, very costly as there are a lot of things at Osterley that you would have to duplicate at your new site.

As it stand the access to Osterley is pretty good, it's near the city centre, but not in it, next to the M3, M4 and M25. Road links are great. If anything, Sky need to move a little bit westard and plonk themselves on a nice new greenfield site just off the M3 or M4. Transport would be improved even more, and they are running out of space at Osterley.

To think that Sky News has to be located 7 miles to the east to gain international credibility is na?ve. It gains credibility from other business that go, oh yer, being at Osterley makes business sense.

dirkyt

Post by dirkyt » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:58 pm

Breakfast News+May 30 2005, 06:51 PM(Breakfast News @ May 30 2005, 06:51 PM)

There is a possibility that Lisa Aziz may be leaving for ITV West (HTV), according to DorisK, at TV Forum she begins with 'L' and used to work in the region, and Lisa fits that description - we shall see.

Anna is *fab* she and Jermey work so well together!

I hope Lisa Aziz stays with SKY and is on the screen more often.

Her reputation and credibility is well preserved in a international and not regional setting. Her background in education and journalistic roles proves this.

DON'T LEAVE LISA - PLEASE !!!!!!

PJMulholland

Post by PJMulholland » Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:08 pm

"LIVE, FROM THE SKY NEWS SHED, THIS, IS SKY NEWS!

http://www.learntopaintinfrance.com/Barn%20-%20before%20red.jpgOsterley HQ

AJ

Post by AJ » Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:18 pm

PJMulholland+Jun 3 2005, 07:45 PM(PJMulholland @ Jun 3 2005, 07:45 PM)

"LIVE, FROM THE SKY NEWS SHED, THIS, IS SKY NEWS!

http://www.learntopaintinfrance.com/Barn%20-%20before%20red.jpgOsterley HQ

mwah ha ha! :rolleyes:

I really do wish I had your sense of humour - unfortunately, you're the only person that does have your sense of humour.

Shame that.