New Studio

Discussions on news and breaking news events including, BBC News, ITV News, Sky News
panther

Post by panther » Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:51 am

Firstly, nothing to say that Sky can't (and won't at some point in the future) find a studio space in central London to broadcast from.

Rumour was about 12 months ago that Sky were very interested in a space looking over Leicester Square as a backdrop - similar to ABC and their Times Square affair.

It wouldn't remotely surprise me to see something like that in the future, and for Sunrise to be broadcasting from that sort of location in about 5 years time. If they can afford offices at Buckingham Gate, they can certainly afford small studios in Central London with a good backdrop.

As for Fox, they located themselves in the News Corp. building in NY after that building had been in use for many years by the company. They took over part of the ground floor and stripped out the crappy old basement to put a newsroom in - one with no natural light (like Sky) and that's as dark as a Russian prison, it should be said.

They did not cherry pick a prime location and spend a fortune on getting the place.

Their Dayside studio is an old bar, or something, and the point of it is lost on me. The windows have so many 'FOX' logos on them that you can't see anything going on outside anyway.

HBox

Post by HBox » Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:18 am

I've never thought that the Fox studios look particularly good. Just goes to show it doesn't matter where the studio is located, it's more about decent set design.

kaylover

Post by kaylover » Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:55 pm

I think sky would do well to have a full time studio in the centre of london. Even if this was not possibel for space etc they could just have the studio in say Leicester Square (like the MTV 'trl' studio) and have the news room and the production side of sky running out of their new building.

All they would have to do is stick a mini news wall in, stick in a desk infront of the windows with plasma screens either side (that would display the image of story like the newswall does now) and shove a few sky stickers on the window for maximum effect.

Think of the new top of the hour, "Covering the Globe, Unbiased and Unequaled, News at coming to you LIVE. From Londons Leicester Square, This is Sky News/ Sky News Today/ Sky News at 10 / with....." And before each break they could have sayings like " From the Sky News World Head Quarters in Leicester Square and Sky News teams around the world, This is news Unbiased and Unequaled" or "Your on the News Channel Great Briton trusts for News, Sky News." or " Your watching the news channel of the year, Sky; number one for News." etc......

WOW! IF ONLY

daved2424

Post by daved2424 » Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:01 pm

kaylover+Jun 7 2005, 12:53 AM(kaylover @ Jun 7 2005, 12:53 AM)

All they would have to do is stick a mini news wall in, stick in a desk infront of the windows with plasma screens either side (that would display the image of story like the newswall does now) and shove a few sky stickers on the window for maximum effect.

Sounds remarkably like Millbank! A video wall, a desk, plasmas, newsroom, Sky News logo on the wall... Have you never seen Sunday With Adam Boulton?

panther

Post by panther » Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:42 pm

kaylover+Jun 7 2005, 12:53 AM(kaylover @ Jun 7 2005, 12:53 AM)

Think of the new top of the hour, "Covering the Globe, Unbiased and Unequaled, News at coming to you LIVE. From Londons Leicester Square, This is Sky News/ Sky News Today/ Sky News at 10 / with....." And before each break they could have sayings like " From the Sky News World Head Quarters in Leicester Square and Sky News teams around the world, This is news Unbiased and Unequaled" or "Your on the News Channel Great Briton trusts for News, Sky News." or " Your watching the news channel of the year, Sky; number one for News." etc......

WOW! IF ONLY

If they ever do that, I will stop watching there and then.

What on earth makes you think that's a good idea is beyond me.

tippguy

Post by tippguy » Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:38 pm

Think of the new top of the hour, "Covering the Globe, Unbiased and Unequaled, News at coming to you LIVE. From Londons Leicester Square

They could just say coming to you live from Sky Centre in London it would be just as effictive.

To be honest is the quality of news that attracts peoples attention and what will keep people watching the news channel. if it just took a window in london then the whole world would be broadcasting from leister square. they can broadcast from anywhere for all I care once they deliver quality news.

and anyway its not gonna happen. they've just pumped money into their new studio so can we forget about it. you're just getting my hopes up thinking david2424 might have something new to tell us about the new studio.

geordieboi

Post by geordieboi » Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:24 pm

kaylover+Jun 7 2005, 01:53 AM(kaylover @ Jun 7 2005, 01:53 AM)

"And before each break they could have sayings like " From the Sky News World Head Quarters in Leicester Square and Sky News teams around the world, This is news Unbiased and Unequaled"

is it just me or does that just scream of CNN !?..

"Live, from the CNN Centre in Atlanta, this is World News..."

scottish

Post by scottish » Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:57 pm

Personally, I think that the Sky News Today headers are a bit clumsy:

"Live from the Sky News Centre, Sky News Today, with Julie Etchingham and Martin Stanford"

I wonder if they will still have voiceovers after the relaunch...

geordieboi

Post by geordieboi » Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:19 am

well, can confirm that the new studios are effectively finished. first camera tests were held this morning, so just the rehearsals and tests to go!

steve's updated a bit more in his diary at stevedixon.biz

Johnnie
Site Admin

Post by Johnnie » Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:50 am

Do you know if the launch date as changed? We are still 3 months away from the launch, seems along time for testing and tweaking.

I have started working on a relaunch section http://relaunch.skynewscentre.co.ukhttp://relaunch.skynewscentre.co.uk not much on their at the moment.