New Studio

Discussions on news and breaking news events including, BBC News, ITV News, Sky News
tippguy

Post by tippguy » Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:29 am

does anyone have any new news about the studio change??? I hope sky change their programming. i'd love if they had half hour reports from various cities around the world where their corespondants are based. they could also have sport, showbiz & buiz prog's aswell. far two many corespondants are not on the air most days. it would be nice to have andrew wilson on a bit more along with a lot of other professionals. its not really fair on the people based in the uk who work everyday and these lads only come on once a week.

AJ

Post by AJ » Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:27 am

tippguy+Feb 16 2005, 09:49 PM(tippguy @ Feb 16 2005, 09:49 PM)

does anyone have any new news about the studio change??? I hope sky change their programming. i'd love if they had half hour reports from various cities around the world where their corespondants are based. they could also have sport, showbiz & buiz prog's aswell. far two many corespondants are not on the air most days. it would be nice to have andrew wilson on a bit more along with a lot of other professionals. its not really fair on the people based in the uk who work everyday and these lads only come on once a week.

I agree - that's one of the main failings of Sky News at the moment, and Adam Boulton agrees!

I'd like to see Martin get his Technofile show back, and also bring back Your Call too.

Other programmes they should bring back are Your Money, World News and the 9 o Clock News (presented from a CSO - very different and refreshing format)

Butterfinger

Post by Butterfinger » Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:16 pm

Agreed. They should just bring back old classic shows.

AJ

Post by AJ » Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:02 pm

Had a lecture from a Sky News man today who commented on the future of Sky News...

> New studios are in a building called unit 1

> Looks a lot like NASA Control(!)

> New look will be a development of current look - i.e. bold, bright, brash, in your face etc

> The new studio is in the newsroom

And here's the detail that you're not likely to like...

> Date for relaunch of new look Sky News (tentative to builders finishing) is October 2005 at the moment

Other points from the lecture...

> Breaking News policy - to be first at risk of accuracy. Sky News wants to be the first and does not believe in checking sources before flashing up on the Breaking News strap.

> Sky News wants to treat its viewers as "grown ups" - i.e. letting the viewers know what they know as soon as they know it.

> They like taking risks, and believe this to be a trademark of the organisation - they're not afraid to try new things.

> David Chater used state of the art technology when broadcasting Live from Baghdad on the day of the downfall of Saddam Hussein - the camera used was not connected by wire to the uplink truck, so he could move about freely whilst the other news orgs. watched from the hotel balcony.

> This technology was used by Ray Kennedy last week when he was reporting live on Blair's apology - allowed him to move away from the scrum outside St. Stephen's Entrance to Parliament, to where the families actually left.

> Martin Brunt tipped the Home News desk off on the day that the Queen Mother died. Martin is highly respected in the organisation, and "he doesn't sell dummies". This allowed Sky to prepare all the obituaries and packages to go out when the PA released the info on the newswire. This was an exception to their Breaking News rule - they wanted to wait for the PA to release the info before sky did. Sky was a full 2 mins ahead of BBC on this story.

> Sky News Today format extended - now 10am - 5pm. Not many packages are shown during this strand - mostly lives. This is to cater for the Daytime viewer - i.e. busy, not always watching.

> The walkway in front of the newswall is called a "catwalk".

That's about it really - he also talked about the Graduate Training Programme, and commented that the Newsroom facilities at this uni are very impressive and like those of Sky News Ireland.

Newsroom

Post by Newsroom » Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:05 am

Who gave the lecture?

NEWSBOY2

Post by NEWSBOY2 » Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:21 am

Yeah which Sky person was it? A presenter, director, reporter? How is the Staffordshire University's newsroom like that of Sky News Ireland?

- "Sky News wants to treat its viewers as grown ups". That's nice, I can stop worrying I may have tuned into Cbeebies.

AJ

Post by AJ » Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:20 am

Rob Kirk - I think the guy's name was. He's a senior home news editor, and also head of editorial development at Sky News.

NEWSBOY2 - to answer your question. Staffordshire University has invested ?1.6million in the newsroom and all brand new. The newsroom appears behind the studio, and the technology used to power the studio is similar to that used at Sky News Ireland.

EDIT: Pictures online at http://www.staffs.ac.uk/media/whatsnew.htmhttp://www.staffs.ac.uk/media/whatsnew.htm>

NEWSBOY2

Post by NEWSBOY2 » Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:06 pm

Ah right. I'm at Gloucestershire uni. I'm sure your studio is looking a lot better then it was. The one here was only opened offically in November by Sir Trev. Is that slightly scary lady, think her name was Sally or something still in charge?

skynewsfreak

Post by skynewsfreak » Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:17 pm

On the Sky News Green Room, it says they are moving to "purpose built studios" shortly. Rehearsals start this month, so could there be a relaunch at the end of March, or are they still going for May or June?

AJ

Post by AJ » Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:11 am

skynewsfreak+Mar 2 2005, 08:36 AM(skynewsfreak @ Mar 2 2005, 08:36 AM)

On the Sky News Green Room, it says they are moving to "purpose built studios" shortly. Rehearsals start this month, so could there be a relaunch at the end of March, or are they still going for May or June?

Like I said earlier, Sky News are aiming for an OCTOBER relaunch (tentative to builders finishing etc)