The Pope - John Paul II has Died

Discussions on news and breaking news events including, BBC News, ITV News, Sky News
eagleeye

Post by eagleeye » Sat Apr 09, 2005 5:55 pm

Drop the ticker?? Don't do this to me, Johnnie. I'm having to resist the urge to have a really BTM (bad taste moment) after your post. But don't want to offend but....

Talk about Hollywood putting on a show! The Catholic Archbishop of Bulawayo can't feed his parishioners. Has to dig into his own empty pockets. (etc)

Then we have this, possibly the most OTT thing I haven't seen?!

One paper today here ran a headline "Pope-star". There's a new verb here - "mediatiser". 'Hypermediatiser'.

skyspy

Post by skyspy » Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:03 am

Bad taste moment ? That already happened with sky keeping the ticker and other graphics up as they showed the funeral.

Someone had the sense to remove it after an hour.

dsgono

Post by dsgono » Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:02 am

is this popes first church: www. ufoto. pl/index.php?m=konkurs&sub=foto&foto_id=158&foto=158&action=oddaj_glos

dsgono

Post by dsgono » Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:56 am

http://wwwhttp://www DOTufotoDOTpl/index.php?m=konkurs&sub=foto&foto_id=158&foto=158&action=oddaj_glos

eagleeye

Post by eagleeye » Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:27 am

Apparently it took two days here for the media to start gently broadcasting the occasional remark about the Pope's very conservative views on many important issues (AIDS, condoms, women...). How was it in England, on Sky and the other channels?

The headline of the satirical paper here, le Canard Enchaine, was "when will there be a separation of church and media?". Lots of pics of Chirac and his wife, sainte Bernadette de la Consolation as they call her, looking very devout. The same Chirac who pushed through the controversial separation of church and education law, banning all visible religious symbols from schools (notably the veil, but some wonderfully subversive high school kids managed to get a Xmas tree banned last Xmas too).

The election coincides with the election of the new Pope. Assume Adam B isn't handling the white smoke bit as well?! Joke here: Q: is the Vatican ready for a black Pope? A: si, as long as he's Italian.

And is it true that a spoof ad for the Popemobile made it onto ebay?

Nope, he will be a hard act to follow for whichever cardinal - I love the one called Cardinal Sin, where's he from? - follows him. I've not seen a Pope handle the media so well, ever.

kev667

Post by kev667 » Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:56 am

It took a long time for anyone to mention AIDS and contraception, yes. No one on Sky clicked until Christine Odone was interviewed - then they started adding a very brief sentence along the lines of '..but his stance on contraception was controversial for some...' It got a little intense after a while with JT and MS constantly using such high praise and uncritical language - then they would goto SNIreland (Gr?inne Seoige) who were speaking in such slow, deathly and hushed tones, I thought the interview may go on literally forever.

Ok - the old man was either dying or dead at the time, so it's not the time to bash him - but please, don't be so uncritical.

The New Statesman published the day before the funeral put it into perspective - their brilliant Africa correspondent, Michela Wrong, wrote a good article - a part of it was used as the coverpage of the mag;

"He did more to spread Aids in Africa than prostitution and the trucking industry combined"

It sums it up neatly I feel, but the article is more indepth.

brightmanal

Post by brightmanal » Sun May 01, 2005 12:37 pm

Well I finally found out - the Italian translator on all the Pope's coverage was Alec wilkinson the sports presenter - guess he speaks italian! He and Alastair Bruce did the commentaries