Vote '05 - Pre-Election

Discussions on news and breaking news events including, BBC News, ITV News, Sky News
Harry Hayfield

Post by Harry Hayfield » Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:21 pm

As are the UK as a whole. The Interest Index is at -32

kev667

Post by kev667 » Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:03 pm

Do we need the Deputy Prime Minister to punch a voter in the face again to liven it up?

Any predictions for a 'defining moment' in this campaign? Kinnock falling over, 'The Sun Wot Won It', 'Save The Pound', Prezza's Punch.

I have a hunch that security will become a big issue - I think Mr Blair may well need to protect himself from real people.. The more we see people berating him in the street, the worse things will get for Labour. It's the same for Howard I would think, but it's Blair that's been in power & 'responsible' for everyone's delayed bunion operations and piles cream prescription prices...

....we await some real news! ..Maybe that's coming 'From Monday, live on Sky' too..?!

Harry Hayfield

Post by Harry Hayfield » Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:50 pm

What's happpened to the poll ticker?

MelbourneTV

Post by MelbourneTV » Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:25 pm

Voting is not compulsory in the UK is it???

(Personally I prefer compulsory voting)

WHat role does the Chancellor perform? We dont have Chancellor's in Australia...(well we probably do, its just called something else)

The House of Lords is still not elected right?

kev667

Post by kev667 » Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:31 pm

The Labour Party's return to power in 1997 under Tony Blair finally heralded the reform of the House of Lords. The Blair Government introduced legislation to remove all hereditary peers from the Upper House as the first step in Lords reform. As a part of a compromise, however, it agreed to permit ninety-two hereditary peers to remain until the reforms are complete. The hereditary peers were removed under the House of Lords Act 1999 (see below for its provisions).

Since then however, reform has stalled. The Wakeham Commission proposed introducing a 20% elected element to the Lords, but this plan was widely criticised. A Joint Committee was established in 2001 to resolve the issue, but it reached no conclusion and instead gave Parliament seven options to choose from (fully appointed, twenty per cent elected, forty per cent elected, fifty per cent elected, sixty per cent elected, eighty per cent elected, and fully elected). In a confusing series of votes in February 2003 all of these options were defeated although the eighty per cent elected option fell by just three votes. MPs favouring outright abolition voted against all the options. New peers, therefore, are only created by appointment to the house.

The Labour Party now intends to introduce reform early in the next Parliament, although they are yet to state exactly what system they will be proposing. It is understood they may be inclined to support Billy Bragg's Secondary Mandate system. The Conservative Party favour an eighty per cent elected Second Chamber, while the Liberal Democrats are calling for a fully elected Senate. Elect the Lords is a new cross-party campaign initiative that has been set up to make the case for a predominantly elected Second Chamber in the run up to the general election.

So - the Lords are selected by the current government, apart from a few who are hereditary.

Voting isn't compulsory - It has been talked about briefly, the last time I think after the Euro2004 elections. I'm not sure if any party has said they will do this. I have no problem with it at all.. My guess at turnout this time round is 53%. If it drops below half, there will be an almighty fuss & someone will call for compulsory.

The Chancellor, Gordon Brown is the UK's Finance Minister. He has almost all the same responsibilities as your Nick Minchin. Unusally, this Chancellor has a lot more say over social policy than any other in recent memory - it's part of his alleged deal with Tony over the leadership of the Labour party. He has no specific role in the election - ahh, well - he did run the Labour party's last two General Election campaigns but that's to do with his party rather than his office of Chancellor. He does have a majority of opinion that says he is doing a good job - no economic shocks in 8 years - so he'll be playing up the economic record of his Chancellorship. ..they can't really play up Tony being an international statesman as that reminds everyone of Iraq.

If you mean the Lord Chancellor?

Unlike the House of Commons, the House of Lords does not elect its own Speaker; rather, the ex officio presiding officer is the Lord Chancellor (as of 2005, The Rt Hon. The Lord Falconer of Thoroton). The Lord Chancellor is not only the Speaker of the House of Lords, but also a member of the Cabinet; his or her department, formerly the Lord Chancellor's Department, is now called the Department for Constitutional Affairs. In addition, the Lord Chancellor is the head of the judiciary of England and Wales, serving as the President of the Supreme Court of England and Wales. Thus, the Lord Chancellor is a part of all three branches of Government: the legislative, the executive, and the judicial. In June 2003, the Blair Government announced its intention to abolish the post of Lord Chancellor, due to the office's mixed executive and judicial responsibilities; a bill intended to achieve this goal was introduced in 2004, but has not passed.

He has no role at election time either, except in his party. As it happens, all Members of Parliament on Monday will cease to be MPs, they become prospective parliamentary candidates. They're waiting to be elected, just like the 650+ others and all that are hoping to defeat them. Tony gets to stay PM, technically - but he's fighting for his constituency seat in Parliament too.

Hope this helps! All quoted info is from;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Lordshttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Lords>

cheers

kev

Harry Hayfield

Post by Harry Hayfield » Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:43 am

Can I ask if anyone from Sky News read these posts? If so, could they lift the ticker up about 2 cms or so (as on my television the ticker gets cut off at the bottom of my television screen?

fusionlad

Post by fusionlad » Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:20 am

Harry Hayfield+Apr 10 2005, 02:47 PM(Harry Hayfield @ Apr 10 2005, 02:47 PM)

Can I ask if anyone from Sky News read these posts? If so, could they lift the ticker up about 2 cms or so (as on my television the ticker gets cut off at the bottom of my television screen?

Well, not sure if they would change their graphics just because one person's tv wasn't set up correctly

Johnnie
Site Admin

Post by Johnnie » Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:04 pm

Sky News Centre's sub-site: http://skynewscentre.co.uk/vote05/http://skynewscentre.co.uk/vote05/>

AJ

Post by AJ » Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:05 pm

fusionlad+Apr 10 2005, 03:02 PM(fusionlad @ Apr 10 2005, 03:02 PM)

Harry Hayfield+Apr 10 2005, 02:47 PM(Harry Hayfield @ Apr 10 2005, 02:47 PM)

Well, not sure if they would change their graphics just because one person's tv wasn't set up correctly

how about 2 then?! I have exactly the same problem!!!

In the corner I tend to get "OP POLL" and "OLL OF POLLS" etc etc

eagleeye

Post by eagleeye » Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:40 pm

MelbourneTV+Apr 8 2005, 03:50 AM(MelbourneTV @ Apr 8 2005, 03:50 AM)

(Personally I prefer compulsory voting)

Compulsory voting is a contradiction in terms in a so-called 'democracy', innit?

Mind you, if they did have that, they'd have to give us all a choice of voting for "none of the above" - and imo that box might get ticked quite a lot.

An an "expat" I missed the cut off deadline for registration - everyone thought it was going to be May 5th so you had to register by early March (which I didn't know) - so I am spared the agonising question as to whether to vote TB or not TB.