Vote '05 - Pre-Election

Discussions on news and breaking news events including, BBC News, ITV News, Sky News
Johnnie
Site Admin

Post by Johnnie » Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:10 am

The Sun Newspaper is backing Labour for the General Election. I guess The News of the World and The Times will do the same thing.

AJ

Post by AJ » Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:52 am

rob237+Apr 17 2005, 12:25 PM(rob237 @ Apr 17 2005, 12:25 PM)

AJ+Apr 14 2005, 02:44 AM(AJ @ Apr 14 2005, 02:44 AM)

I was sent out on a story to cover the opening of a local fountain a few weeks ago..............."At the end of the day...."

Do trust that you don't habitually use that diabolical phrase in your journalism!

good grief - absolutely not. extremely colloquial and cringeworthy.

The fact that you see it in my post above proves that I did not proof-read that post!

Shame on me, eh?

Hello

Post by Hello » Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:13 pm

Where's Boris Johnstone at the moment? Anyone seen him on TV during the election campaign? I need cheered up. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hello

Post by Hello » Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:38 pm

It's almost time for that period in the electoral cycle again. Who's going to be the next Tory party leader after the election? Any ideas anyone? <_< <_<

Johnnie
Site Admin

Post by Johnnie » Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:20 am

Hello+Apr 20 2005, 11:33 PM(Hello @ Apr 20 2005, 11:33 PM)

It's almost time for that period in the electoral cycle again.  Who's going to be the next Tory party leader after the election? Any ideas anyone?  <_<  <_<

I think their best hope was David Davis. Howard isn't passionate enough, he doesn't hit the rights notes with the public (policy is another reason), and i think this is reflected in the polls.

The Tories were neck and neck with Labour when the polls first started coming out on the 6th April and that's probably down to anti war voters. but now they're on the Election campaign, Blair's getting his message across better than Howard is or can and thats why we're seeing a greater margin for Labour now.

BTW, Sky News have launched their Vote '05 results website, http://news.sky.com/election/http://news.sky.com/election/> It looks like its been designed by the group that done the Press office and Sky News Green room websites.

Hello

Post by Hello » Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:12 pm

What about Boris Johnstone for party leader? <_< <_<

Steven

Post by Steven » Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:55 pm

I think the problem with the Tories is that they are not distinctive enough. Probably because 'New' Labour have stolen their central ground. As previously mentioned Labour are better at getting the message across. And it is not all down to Blair, a brilliant oratator that he is. The credit also has to go to the other members of the Labour parlimentary party who are used to debate the issues - John Reid, Charles Clarke, Gordon Brown even John Prescott. Naturally these are more recognisable names as they form part of the government, I think it goes much further than that though.

I've seen a debate on 2 TV programmes about health (Jonathan Dimbleby and Newsnight) involving John Reid and the respective Health Spokespeople for the Conservatives and Liberal Democrats. Here is a case in point, despite watching them at length I can't name them. Although, the guy for the Lib Dems was considerably much better. The Conservatives representative spent his time squabbling and talking over people, this despite, in the case of the Dimbleby show, having an participating audience that was to some degree agreeing with his points. John Reid trounced him the 'debates' and didn't even appear to be trying.

As it goes, I've grown to like Michael Howard more as the election has rumbled on. He just doens't have the personality rich spokesmen that Labour have.

rob237

Post by rob237 » Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:45 pm

Steven+Apr 21 2005, 01:00 PM(Steven @ Apr 21 2005, 01:00 PM)

I think the problem with the Tories is that they are not distinctive enough.........

Exactly so......excellent summary of the situation.

The Tories have become an almost totally anonymous bunch.

Even when the Grantham Witch was causing havoc we at least knew who her sidekicks were!

No surprise that folk struggle to nominate Howard's successor as, beyond Buffoon Boris, most can't identify a serious candidate.

I'd suggest that, perhaps 10 years ago, the infamous 'man in the street' could identify a dozen Tory MP's; he'd now be pushed to go past 3 or 4!

Over the last few years they have provided the weakest 'opposition' in living memory.

philg

Post by philg » Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:31 am

Five News will simulcast Sky's elction night coverage from midnight on the results night. It is being called Election Results Live on their website's tv guide. Maybe Sky will do a TOTH sequence at 12, to provide a clean feed for Five to opt in.

Description from the Five website:

Live coverage of the General Election results. Julie Etchingham and Adam Boulton are presenting from the election night studio; Martin Stanford will be reporting from a virtual reality studio; and Kay Burley is out and about in the Skycopter dropping into key locations on the night.

I wonder whether they will try and disguise the fact that it is Sky's coverage, as they have seemed unwilling so far to mention Sky at all in their bulletins, for example during the Tsunami coverage they lead on a Sky News team rescuing a child or something, and they airbrushed out the Sky News logo on t'shirts etc when they showed the crew.

Sparrow

Post by Sparrow » Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:44 pm

Good to hear that the star Sky team will be on board for election coverage. Look forward to seeing what virtual reality Martin Stanford can pull out of the hat...He is a genius...