Steve Gaisford

Discussions on news and breaking news events including, BBC News, ITV News, Sky News
GemmaC

Post by GemmaC » Sun Jun 25, 2006 5:38 pm

has there ever been a poll on here of the sexiest male newscasters. Mine has to be Steve Gaisford

guvnorgaz

Post by guvnorgaz » Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:07 pm

He was perfect with Emma for the weekend Sunrise slot

RoxyM

Post by RoxyM » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:35 pm

guvnorgaz wrote:He was perfect with Emma for the weekend Sunrise slot

Yep. I agree with you on that. Lets keep our fingers crossed.........

Johnnie
Site Admin

Post by Johnnie » Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:07 pm

A Steve Gaisford newsreel:

[youtube]rMSZ0H7tNwY[/youtube]

DRL

Post by DRL » Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:02 pm

Good to have a reminder of what an excellent news presenter Steve was: another example of Sky News increasingly sidelining some of their best people. It's a shame they have no real competition since the demise of the ITV News Channel. (Sorry, I can't include the BBC version; I watched it twice, some years ago, and was asleep within minutes.)

There's a similar compilation of clips on Martin Popplewell's website, a link from his profile in the News Staff section. He seems to be neglected these days, too. Let's hope he is pursuing other interests; he has huge potential and it was good to be reminded of the amazing documentary he made a few years ago.

Talking of the ITV News Channel, what happened to Chris Rogers when it folded? He would be good back on Sky; or perhaps they think he lost some of his gravitas when he was on Rise on Channel 4.

Sky really needs to get some personalities back on screen. This weekend we had the embarassment of an inexperienced presenter interviewing various experts when the Saddam news broke. Fortunately Adam Boulton was on hand at 10 o'clock to repeat the interviews with the necessary expertise. I'm surprised they didn't get a heavyweight in an hour earlier, when they knew a big story was breaking. Didn't they do that on 9/11? Perhaps Martin Stanford should have been woken early.

txwharfrat

Post by txwharfrat » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:20 pm

Chris Rogers is now on ITV London and does the occasional overnight/morning news shift for ITV and Radio 5 Live.

Why do people seem to like Martin Popplewell so much? He is perfectly adequate at what he does, but to me he always appears cold, distant and bored on screen

James72

Post by James72 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:02 pm

It was good to see how good steve was, he is wasted just doing the sport news. Sky sould get him back presenting even if it is only doing fill ins.

DRL

Post by DRL » Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:59 pm

Thanks SSLuke for the information about Chris Rogers. I found him on London ITV as you said. (not my region, but it's on Sky Channel 900+ here.) I've also seen him since on the main ITV news, reporting from somewhere in Eastern Europe. He was always excellent on Sky and, more recently, on the ITV News Channel; I remember seeing him the night the Pope died and he really showed his potential in handling that story.

I've also found another all-time favourite who is no longer on Sky News: Lisa Aziz, who was one of the all-time greats on Sky, alongside Vivien Creegor and Paula Middlehurst. She turned up on a trailer for the ITV local news based in Bristol, which is taking over part of this region's coverage when it is divided up later this month. (I'm in the Central South ITV region.)

It's interesting how some of these people seem to disappear from view and then turn up somewhere completely different. I suppose it makes life more interesting for them.

Another long-term favourite, who I haven't seen for ages is Rob Butler, who used to do wonderfully laid-back lunchtime bulletins on Channel 5 before its news was taken over by Sky. Does anyone know what happened to him?

DRL

Post by DRL » Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:31 am

Are they so over-run with talented people at Sky News that they can afford to remove Jeremy Thompson from his usual role to go to Australia to cover the cricket? He is presumably seen as one of their 'Top Three' or so. Couldn't a sports presenter have fronted the Australian coverage? Steve Gaisford, for example, has experience of sports and news presentation! If I was a Sky sports presenter (highly unlikely!) I'm sure I'd feel a bit insulted by JT being flown in. I suppose some people see cricket as important, but there are some very significant news stories around the world at present.

del

Post by del » Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:34 pm

DRL wrote: Are they so over-run with talented people at Sky News that they can afford to remove Jeremy Thompson from his usual role to go to Australia to cover the cricket? He is presumably seen as one of their 'Top Three' or so. Couldn't a sports presenter have fronted the Australian coverage? Steve Gaisford, for example, has experience of sports and news presentation! If I was a Sky sports presenter (highly unlikely!) I'm sure I'd feel a bit insulted by JT being flown in. I suppose some people see cricket as important, but there are some very significant news stories around the world at present.

He did the K Club too didn't he, for the Ryder Cup, if I recall correctly...Perhaps seeing as he's an ex sports correspondent who's mad on cricket it was apt to send him.

And where is Steve Gaisford anyhow? He seems to have disappeared of late, not that I'm complaining too much as I prefer Charlie [who covered the 94/95 ashes in Australia] and Alec Wilkinson [when he pops up]

Oh and Rob Butler I saw on an old episode of "Blankety Blank"