Is Digital TV Guaranteed?

.. and for anything else
NaRvIcK DeViL

Post by NaRvIcK DeViL » Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:12 pm

Is Digital TV Guaranteed?

When the compulsory Digital changeover is complete, what guarantee do we have that we will all recieve a good quality TV signal.

Currently I have 2 freeview boxes and sometimes when I first switch them on the picture goes all wonky, The best way I can describe it- it?s like I just put a chewed up tape in the video recorder, also sometimes the picture freezes and when it returns to normal the audio is out of sink, which can only be resolved by switching channels.

On really bad days due to atmospheric conditions I?m told, I can?t receive a picture at all. I?m sure the experts would probably say it will all be resolved when the analogue signal is switched off. This I understand is the main excuse given for the cause of all the current digital problems.

My response to this excuse is to say that it?s a ?Red Herring?. It?s a bit like going into a Garage with a shock absorber problem on your car and being told that even though only one of them is leaking their going to have replace the other one on the opposite side as well even though there is nothing wrong with it (ever get the feeling you?ve just been conned).

guvnorgaz

Post by guvnorgaz » Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:14 pm

I have Sky and when there is heavy rain and thunder about I get no picture at all

Lone

Post by Lone » Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:12 pm

guvnorgaz wrote:I have Sky and when there is heavy rain and thunder about I get no picture at all

Same, but my DVB-T Freeview USB on my PC, connected to a desktop aerial works happily.

guvnorgaz

Post by guvnorgaz » Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:01 pm

Lone wrote:(post=17953:date=Jan 12 2007, 08:49 PM:name=guvnorgaz)(guvnorgaz @ Jan 12 2007, 08:49 PM) 17953
I have Sky and when there is heavy rain and thunder about I get no picture at all

Same, but my DVB-T Freeview USB on my PC, connected to a desktop aerial works happily.

What sort of aerial do you have on it? I have been tempted to get one for a while but Im worried about poor reception

Lone

Post by Lone » Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:17 pm

guvnorgaz wrote:What sort of aerial do you have on it? I have been tempted to get one for a while but Im worried about poor reception

To be honest you're much better off using you're rooftop aerial, since that'll give you the best signal.

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=94486&_LOC=UKTHIS is the TV USB I use. It comes with it's own aerial but it's pathetically weak. I purchased a mains powered aerial for ?20, from Argos. If you do go for a desktop aerial make sure it's one with it's own power supply, previously I brought an ordinary one for a tenner and it didn't prove very reliable.

The one I've got now works fine, occasionally I have to move it about to improve the signal but it's much better then the last two. But I still maintain you're best off connecting it to you're home aerial

guvnorgaz

Post by guvnorgaz » Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:45 pm

I get all my channels through Sky digibox so I dont have a roof top aerial. I was looking at a Pinnacle PCI dual tuner card and would need to hook that up to a powered set top aerial, I saw the ones in Argos, they are amplified aswell so will boost a poor signal

Lone

Post by Lone » Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:19 pm

guvnorgaz wrote:I get all my channels through Sky digibox so I dont have a roof top aerial. I was looking at a Pinnacle PCI dual tuner card and would need to hook that up to a powered set top aerial, I saw the ones in Argos, they are amplified aswell so will boost a poor signal

That Pinnacle looks quite good, though I'd advise you to check out some of the alternatives since it isn't cheap.

As long as you pay good money for an good quality amplified aerial you should be fine.

guvnorgaz

Post by guvnorgaz » Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:23 pm

The single tuner version is only 25 quid

NaRvIcK DeViL

Post by NaRvIcK DeViL » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:50 pm

What sort of aerial do you have on it? I have been tempted to get one for a while but Im worried about poor reception

"Freeview aerial" misconception colorc

Below are a few comments written by others in the digital spy forum that I thought I'd put them here to let you know that up-grading to a digital aerial in a 'huge' falsehood

--

coloro:#A0522DIt as much the fault of ignorance, within the High Street retailers as anything. Glossy catalogues produced by usually trusted large companies contain adverts for 'digital aerials' and non-technical people believe these things.

If you challenge the salesmen, they insist that nothing is wrong with the adverts - because they know no better. I even got chucked out of one of the top name stores for daring to argue about it.colorc

coloro:#483D8BLiving in an analogue trio-overlap and digital duo-overlap area, it really does surprise me how many of these beastie "high gain" aerials people are installing. Wrexham is served digitally by Winter Hill and The Wrekin, of which Winter Hill DTT is allocated in the same aerial band as ATT, while muxes 1-A from the Wrekin are also on the same band as The Wrekin ATT.

For Winter Hill, our aerial is a bog standard group C/D which has been up there since 2001, and for The Wrekin, we have a group A aerial which has been there since 1987. From the Winter Hill mast, we receive all 8 muxes at 95-100%, and from The Wrekin, receive muxes 1-A at around 60-80%. However, many people (and I mean a lot) have gone for these high gain wideband beasts for Winter Hill, where there are no obstructions and clear line of sight to the mast. Our next-door neighbour has even said "he got nothing" from his existing aerial, upgraded to one of these beasts, "still got nothing", and had it moved to the other side of his house, where he still gets "poor reception". Now if we can receive Winter Hill at almost 100% with a standard C/D aerial, why can't people close by? IMO, I think he was incorrectly receiving those muxes from The Wrekin, but his "aerial installer" told him it was bad reception.

People seem to have this thing that "to get Freeview you need a new digital aerial" - but why do people believe this? There's no such thing as a digital aerial. Surely it?s a cash-in on the aerial installation business.colorc

coloro:#556B2FEvery UHF TV aerial erected since the introduction of BBC2 over 40 years ago would, had the service been available, been perfectly capable of receiving digital TV. The only differences are in the various gain, bandwidth and beamwidth valuescolorc

Lone

Post by Lone » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:24 pm

I agree with what those posters are saying, for a while even I was considering forking out for a full upgrade to my rooftop aerial but decided to get a desktop one instead. It's best to buy a freeview box, hook it up to what you've already got installed, and if you have problems then consider a replacement.