Is Digital TV Guaranteed?

.. and for anything else
guvnorgaz

Post by guvnorgaz » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:46 pm

I had an Ondigital box once and it was hooked up to a crappy old set top aerial that was nothing more than a glorified coat hanger

Lone

Post by Lone » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:04 pm

guvnorgaz wrote:I had an Ondigital box once and it was hooked up to a crappy old set top aerial that was nothing more than a glorified coat hanger

OnDigital? Yeah I remember that, I suppose people who have these boxes are finding it handy as something to keep the draft out.

NaRvIcK DeViL

Post by NaRvIcK DeViL » Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:11 am

UK 'baffled' by digital TV

More than 80 per cent of the UK population is confused about the switch from analogue to digital TV broadcasts, according to a study.

Analogue signals will be turned off in some regions as early as next year, though residents of London and Northern Ireland won't have to switch to digital until 2012. The switchover will happen based on which ITV region you are in.

Price comparison service uSwitch surveyed 2,345 adults in the UK and found that the majority were clueless when it came to the digital switchover.

Eighty-three per cent of us don't know when the signal will be switched from analogue to digital in our region, and nearly 25 per cent of us think we'll need to buy a new TV set to receive digital broadcasts.

This is, in fact, incorrect, as any TV that has a Scart input will be able to receive broadcasts as long as it is connected to a set-top box. Other ways of receiving digital TV are via a satellite dish, through a cable service, and via a telephone line.

However, only one in six people surveyed could name all four ways of receiving digital TV. Surprisingly, people aged between 18 and 24 were less likely to know this than the over 55s.

uSwitch lays the blame for our ignorance squarely at the government's door.

“Despite the switchover being a Government initiative, over half the people we surveyed felt that the Government had not done enough to prepare them for the switch, which is staggering considering they announced their digital plan back in September 2005. They have had plenty of time to get the message out," said Steve Weller of uSwitch.

It is worrying to see that consumers are still baffled as to how and when to switch. The problems and confusion clearly arise in the fact that consumers do not know much about when the switchover will happen, what measures they need to take and how much this will cost them," .

http://www.digitaltelevision.gov.uk/http://www.digitaltelevision.gov.uk/>

Lone

Post by Lone » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:53 am

When is that article dated from?

guvnorgaz

Post by guvnorgaz » Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:59 pm

On Digital was the first of the digital boxes that used a normal aerial

Lone

Post by Lone » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:41 pm

guvnorgaz wrote:On Digital was the first of the digital boxes that used a normal aerial

Yes, I remember. But unlike Freeview it was a subscription service like Sky or NTL, though I think it provided a similar number of channels.

lazyday

Post by lazyday » Sun May 20, 2007 6:16 pm

Ive had Sky for years and have always had excellent reception except, of course, in storms. However, in any case, we are advised to disconnect electrical equipment from the mains as a lightning strike could cause damage. I realise that not everyone can afford Sky but for those who can, I would assume from what some have said about Freeview, that Sky would be worth considering.

NaRvIcK DeViL

Post by NaRvIcK DeViL » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:13 am

Check your freeview box (500,000 + people just got legally mugged)

Fatal flaw

Freeview's big problem was caused by a tiny computer chip. The chip was a key part of boxes made by five different manufacturers, The boxes that were affected that are known so far..... Daewoo DS608P, Daewoo SV900, Labgear DTT100, Triax DVB 2000T, Portland DP100 and the Bush IDVCR01. All contained chips made by Setpal - a company which has now gone out of business. But their chip had a fatal flaw which meant it couldn't cope when Freeview upped the number of channels from 30 to 48 and that's why the boxes broke.

If you thought that was bad, there are half a million more boxes that are about to become useless. As digital journalist Julian Clover explains, some of the older boxes won't be able to cope with the digital switchover: "We know there are a set of the original ONdigital boxes that are not going to work after Switchover. A couple of years ago there was a survey which found out there were 500,000 [ONdigital boxes]. With switchover ending in 2012 chances are they might not work anyway because of old age."