Jason Farrell – Q&A

Name?
Jason Farrell

Age?

Where are you from?
Camden

How did you get started in broadcasting?
I got in to broadcasting by doing a post-grad diploma in Broadcast Journalism at Falmouth College in 1998

Why News broadcasting?
No day is the same. Every story throws up new challenges, takes you to new places and you get to meet some real characters. Then you get to tell everyone about it.

Where else would have viewers seen or heard you before?
I used to do reports for ITV News and before that ITN’s News Direct Radio. But I doubt you’ll have heard of me as such.

What is your Best on-air moment?
When I asked a colleague to text me a verdict from the High Court to my mobile phone. It came through as I was live on-air outside the court and I was able to report it there and then, well ahead of the competition. I did later wonder what I would have done if I had looked down to see the text was just a mate asking if I wanted to go for a drink.

What is your Worst on-air moment?
At Glastonbury this year when in a massive thunder storm the link went down just as I was about to speak so we lost contact. Then when I went to do the live for the later programme the storm had reached Osterley, and this time the office was struck by lightening so the link failed again. I got very wet twice for no reason. Clearly a greater power didn’t want me to report from Glastonbury.

What would you like to do before your career ends?
I’d like to have done it all, several times over.

What do you like to do in your spare time?
I like to hang out with my 4 month old daughter. On an average weekend I also play tennis, walk the dog, trawl through Camden market and then go down the pub.

What advice would you give to anyone that would like to get into the broadcasting world?
The back door is normally open wider than the revolving doors at the front. Over the years I have tried applying for various trainee schemes and advertised jobs and got nowhere. In the end it is all down to phone calls, emails and pester-power. (A bit like the job)

A big thanks to Jason for taking part.

Posted by on Thursday 21 May 2009
Copy link