ITV News presenter Alastair Stewart is stepping down from his role.
This comes following an “error of judgment in Alastair’s use of social media”, ITN said.
In a statement, Alastair said: “It was a misjudgement which I regret.”
“It’s been a privilege to bring the news to households throughout the UK for the past 40 years.”
ITN said he had breached editorial guidelines, but did not elaborate on the reasons for his departure.
Michael Jermey, ITV director of news and current affairs, added: “Alastair has been a long-standing, familiar figure to viewers of ITV News, both reporting and presenting with distinction. We wish him the very best for the future.”
Stewart joined Southern Television in 1976 then joined ITN in 1980 where he served 3 years with Channel 4 News and then went on to become a main newsreader with ITV News.
He remained in this role after more than 35 years, making him the longest serving male newsreader on British television having worked in both the local news, and the national news for 43 years.
The Chancellor of the Exchequer Rishi Sunak will reveal his first budget this afternoon (11 March) after just 27 days in the job. Rishi was previously Chief Secretary to the Treasury from July 2019 to February 2020, and Parliamentary Under… Read more
ITV today announced two new weekend shows – Breakfast at Garraway’s and Martin & Roman’s Sunday Best! – to start in April 2020. Breakfast at Garraway’s will see Good Morning Britain presenter Kate Garraway present her own one-hour show every… Read more
The United Kingdom will leave the European Union this evening. Following a June 2016 referendum, in which 51.9% voted to leave, the UK government formally announced the country’s withdrawal in March 2017, triggering the beginning of the Brexit process. The… Read more